Tuesday, December 19, 2023

Ornament Review: Sandal the Sandman #2 - Sculpting a Reindeer - 2023 Release

Stars: 4 out of 5
Pros: Cute scene building a sand reindeer
Cons: Very white so loses detail
The Bottom Line:
Building a reindeer
Sandal and friend having fun
Does lose some detail



Creating a Reindeer from Sand

Living in Southern California, I don’t dream of a white Christmas, at least white as in snow.  But I do still love Christmas.  It’s just rarer that we find decorations that feature warmer celebrations.  That’s why I like Hallmark’s Sandal the Sandman ornament series.  The second one is another fun entry.

This year, Sandal is building a sand sculpture.  Yes, I do appreciate the irony of a sand sculpture building a sand sculpture.  Now, he isn’t building another sandman.  Instead, he’s building a reindeer.  And it’s mostly completed, too.  We’ve got branches sticking out of the reindeer’s head as antlers.  There’s a collar around his neck.  There’s a towel on its back, and Sandal’s friend the turtle is sitting on it.  Sandal himself is wearing a striped towel around his neck and a big beach hat on his head.

While I enjoy this twist on a typical winter/Christmas activity, I don’t like it quite as much as last year’s ornament.  I think it’s because this ornament is so white.  There are splashes of color, but white is the predominant one.  As a result, some of the details tend to blend into each other.

One detail I do like that stands out is the little blue plastic shovel in the foreground.  That added touch is wonderful.

The scene is on a nice, sandy (okay, really glitter) base, so it is nice and flat.  If you want to set it out to be displayed, you can do that no problem.  The series marker, a 2 in a Christmas tree, is on the bottom.

The ornament does tip a little to the left when you go to hang it.  But by the time you get it on your tree, I doubt you will notice.

While this sandman ornament is very white, I do still enjoy it.  If you are used to a warmer Christmas, you’ll be happy to add Sandal’s second ornament to your tree.

Check out the rest of the Sandal the Sandman ornaments.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.