Sunday, December 31, 2023

New Years Eve's Sunday/Monday Post

Welcome to the last day of 2023 and this week's Sunday/Monday Post.  I will be linking up to:

Sunday Post
Sunday Salon
Stacking the Shelves
Mailbox Monday
It's Monday, What Are You Reading?

I had a great Christmas in spite of myself.  Two weeks ago when I posted, I talked about having gotten a mild cold.  Well, it came with a cough that just won't go away.  And right after I posted, I started running a low grade fever, too.  I even went to the doctor, but what they gave me doesn't seem to have helped.  (And I was negative for Covid twice and the flu once.)  The fever left after a couple of days, fortunately, but this cough just won't go away.  I thought I was going better a few days ago, but it has been worse on Saturday than it has been.

But here's the thing, this can be normal for me.  I'll get a cough after a cold, and it won't go away until I get another cold.  So, anyone have a cold they want to share with me?

Anyway, my family told me to come on up for Christmas anyway, so I did.  And I had a wonderful time.  I got three full days up there, which was nice.  Nothing super fancy or exciting, but it was just nice to spend time with family and relaxing some.

Then it was back home and back to work.  Accounting doesn't take a holiday, and we started our month end close the last two business days of the month.  Fortunately, since we don't have a traditional fiscal year, we were just dealing with a typical month end, which is nice.

Looking for Something New for 2024?


Before I get into the rest of my typical segments, I'm going to do a little blatant self-promotion here for a couple of non-blog specific groups.

The first of these is a group I run on Facebook called First Line Monday.  Yes, it really is as simple as it sounds.  Every Monday, a group of readers share the opening line of what they are currently reading.  Or have read during the last week.  (I typically have at least two posts each week.)  This is not a place for promotion of your own stuff, either books you have written or your own blog.  I don't promote my blog in the group, either.  We'd love to have you.

The other is a Goodreads Group - Audiobook Junkies.  This is especially great for those signing up for the Audiobook Reading Challenge this year.  I was made a moderator, and I didn't really realize it.  I'm trying to breath a little life into the mostly dead group (being totally honest here), so if you want to help kick start it again, please come join us.

This Past Week on the Blog:


Friday - 2023 Reading Challenge Wrap ups (multiple posts)

This Coming Week on the Blog:


Sunday - Sunday/Monday Post
Monday - 2024 Reading Challenge Sign ups (multiple posts)
Tuesday - Book Review: Partners in Crime by Steve Hockensmith
Wednesday - TV Show Review - Night Court (reboot) - Season 1
Thursday - Book Review: Dead and Gondola by Ann Claire
Friday - Book Review: The Burning Room by Michael Connelly
Saturday - Weekly TV Thoughts

Book Haul:

Would you believe I bought no books the week before Christmas?  I know, I was surprised as well.  I mean, yes, I had lots of books on my Christmas wish list.  But it seems like there's usually a Kindle sale I can't resist.

Not to worry, my family helped me out by giving me books for Christmas.

These Honored Dead by Thomas Desjardin is very atypical for me.  It's non-fiction about the history of Gettysburg.  I find the Civil War interesting, so I'm curious to see what I learn from this book.

My sister-in-law tracked down the final three Dorothy Gilman novels I needed to complete my collection.  These are three of her non-Mrs. Pollifax books - Kaleidoscope, Thale's Folly, and Incident at Badamya.  Considering all three books are out of print, I wasn't sure anyone would get them for me when I put them on my list.  I was thrilled to get them.

Rounding out my Christmas books, I also got Wonton Terror by Vivien Chien.  I am woefully behind on this series, and this will be a good step toward catching up.

And yes, there is another book in that picture.  I had to stop by my local Barnes and Noble when they were having their annual hardback sale.  The Last Devil to Die by Richard Osman was the only book to catch my eye while I was there.  I've only read the first in his popular Thursday Murder Club series.  I have the second, but not the third.  This is the fourth.  At some point, I need to get to them since I know people love them so much.  I did enjoy the one I read.

What I'm Currently Reading:

As I write this, I am about half way through Mushroom Capped by Cathy Wiley.  This is the second in her Fatal Food Festival Mysteries.  This time, we are at a mushroom festival (obviously) in Maryland.  I'm hoping to finish the book up Sunday.  Since I don't currently have any plans for New Year's Eve (see earlier talk about my cough), I should be able to finish it up.

Assuming that happens, Monday, I will be starting Knot of This World, the eighth quilting mystery from Mary Marks.  I only have two books to go in the series, and it would be nice to finish it up this year so I can focus on other series.  (I really need to stop beginning new series, but they all sound so good!)  Anyway, I do enjoy the series, and I'm looking forward to spending time with the characters again.

That wraps it up for me this week.  Happy New Year, everyone!

32 comments:

  1. Glad you had a nice Christmas! Sorry to hear about the cold though. Hope you're feeling better and have a nice New Year.

    Books are such good presents :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sorry to hear about the cold and cough sticking around now, that sounds really annoying. I am glad you still had a nice Christmas despite that. And yay for getting so many books for Christmas and that someone even found that out of print series for you. Your two current reads both sound good. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sucks that you had a cold over Christmas! I get the same lingering cough, it's such a pain -- hope you can shake it soon.

    Looks like you got some good books! I need to read more of Dorothy Gilman's work. I read The Tightrope Walker a while ago. Hope you enjoy!

    My weekly roundup!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry you're not feeling well. I'm at least glad you can get in some good reading. Feel better soon! Happy New Year! Here's my SP: https://bonniereadsandwrites.com/2023/12/31/sunday-post-happy-new-years-eve/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Once I had a cough that stuck around from after Christmas until Easter. The only reason it finally went away? I went to urgent care and I was given some sort of shot. I do hope yours is gone soon.

    Our book group is reading the first Richard Osman book next summer. I look forward to reading that series.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just joined the audiobook Goodreads group! Excited to see it revitalize! I love audiobooks.
    My Sunday Post :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh, I haven't had a cold in ages, thankfully, nor Covid. But I do have allergies that are annoying. Feel better!

    That First Line Monday blog sounds good.

    Enjoy your new week and the rest of the holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad you had a good Christmas! I hope you feel better soon. Enjoy your new books.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm sorry you weren't feeling well. I had something similar. It was a cold and cough with a slight fever. The cold and fever went away but the cough is sticking around into the new year. Annoying! I hope you are feeling better.

    I might join your audiobook group. I just signed up with the challenge even though I didn't finish last year's. I'm hoping to do better in 2024.

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I do hope your cough goes away soon, that is really annoying for you, I'm sure.

    I have really enjoyed the Osman books and have #4 on my shelf so need to get to it soon-ish.

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Gilman titles are a treasure! I love her work, and finding the non-Pollifax titles is definitely a score. Your nagging cough sounds like the same thing a lot of my friends have here in Ohio! Hope you feel better soon. At least you have some books to keep you busy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sorry to hear you're not well. I hope the cough goes away on its own without you getting a cold!

    I'll happily join the Goodreads group you're moderating but unfortunately I'm not on Facebook anymore so I can't join that one. I also saw your multiple challenge wrap-up posts and I'm very impressed and inspired! Congratulations on doing so well! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm sorry to hear you've been sick. My BFF's kids came home with the something similar to you at the beginning of the month and they're still coughing. :( I hope yours doesn't last as long.

    https://jennielyse.com/sunday-news-49/

    ReplyDelete
  14. So sorry to hear about the lingering cough!! But, glad you got to visit with you family anyway. My sister was sick right before Christmas, but we decided to go to TN and see her and her family anyway after Christmas. I came home with a sore throat, but hoping it doesn't turn into sickness. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Glad you had a nice Christmas despite the lingering cold. There is so much gunk going around right now it's just awful. I love the non-Mrs. Pollifax Gilman books. I'm starting off 2024 with one of them and am so looking forward to it. Happy New Year's!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I read an article about how COVID has messed with all of our immune systems. And the more times we have it, the worse our immune system gets. I wonder if you just couldn't clear that cold or flu because your immune systems couldn't keep up. Sigh. Hope you get fully well.

    Happy New Year.

    https://headfullofbooks.blogspot.com/2023/12/review-land-of-lost-things.html

    ReplyDelete
  17. Glad you had such a nice Christmas and you got a nice bunch of book gifts! I will join the audiobooks group on Goodreads. I love audiobooks!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sorry about your cough. I've been coughing for a long time now and I don't see it slowing down anytime soon. Let's hope I can get my coughing under control soon. Anyway, I hope you have a wonderful New Year!

    Here’s my Sunday Post

    Rabbit Ears Book Blog: WORLD’S WEIRDEST BOOK BLOG!

    ReplyDelete
  19. My husband caught a cold at our early family gathering in the Christmas season and has retained a cough even after the other symptoms improved. I hope yours gets better soon!

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am glad to hear you had a nice Christmas with your family despite the cold. I hope you feel better soon, Mark. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sorry to hear about the cough. I had one that lasted for months but began taking Naproxen (over the counter pain reliever) and it went away. Nice looking assortment of books. I just joined the Audiobook group at Goodreads though I don't know how active I'll be. Come see my week here. Happy reading and Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm glad you had a nice Christmas even with the cold. I had one over the holiday break too, with a cough, but it's finally wrapping up. Enjoy your new books! The B&N sale is tempting. I stocked up on Christmas cards.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I swear you read THE CUTEST book titles ever.

    I remember when we still worked in our physical office in Encino, me and my coworkers would have a cough for months after getting a cold. The California Crud we called it. I remember my sister was so annoyed by my lingering cough one time she wanted me to go to the doctor because she was sure it was lung cancer or a heart condition. No, ma'm, it was just a relentless cough.

    Anyway, Happy New Year and hope the cough randomly disappears one day like mine used to do.

    ReplyDelete
  24. So glad you enjoyed your holidays despite the cold. I find a lot of people end up with lingering coughs these days. Hope that goes away soon.

    Great books. Families sure keep us happy.

    Wishing you a new year filled with blessings.

    https://thebookconnectionccm.blogspot.com/2024/01/its-monday-what-are-you-reading-and.html

    ReplyDelete
  25. Good you had time with your family over Christmas in spite of the cough. What wonderful Christmas books you received. I loved the Mary Marks series because I love to quilt, but the books were good. I was sorry when she decided to stop writing and get on with her quilting! Yes so many good cozy series out there.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'm glad you had a good Christmas. I hope your cough is going away...without a new cold.
    I will take a look at Audiobook Junkies considering I am one!
    So many new books for you. These Honored Dead gets my interest too.
    Happy New Year and Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I hope you are able to get rid of the cough soon, Mark. I am glad you had a nice Christmas with your family despite that though. I hope you enjoy new books! I still need to read the first in the Thursday Murder Club series. I hope you enjoy your reading and have a great week! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Happy New Year!! I don't know to say sorry about your cough or hope you get a cold so that you can get rid of it.

    I will check out the Facebook group. I

    ReplyDelete
  29. Happy New Year! I hope you feel better soon. There are some awful colds going around, and it seems like there's not much you can do about them. I'm not on goodreads, but I joined the facebook group.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I signed up for the facebook group! It sounds like fun. I would have joined Audiobook Junkies, but Goodreads is being persnickety right now.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I literally laughed out loud at your request for having someone share their cold with you because while I don't have a cold, I do have Covid. But no, I don't want to share it with anyone. I developed symptoms on New Year's Day and I tested positive on January 2nd. That was also the day I lost my Wordle streak so it was a bad day all around. Lol. I have not felt like reading or listening to audiobooks, so I'm already behind on what I wanted to be reading and listening to this year. Oh well. I guess I'll just take the time to rest and get better. I have a lingering cough, but mostly I have a lot of nasal congestion (although laughing at what you said did help clear that up a bit...lol). Anyway, I hope you feel better soon, if you're not already (preferably without having to share another cold with someone). Maybe we can channel healing energy, instead of illnesses, across the miles to each other. :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. I read a few Mrs. Pollifax books in high school but all I remember is that I enjoyed them. I should revisit them sometime (I did notice your books weren't in the Mrs. Pollifax series but my brain likes slight tangents). I hope your cough is getting better! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.