Sunday, January 31, 2016

Candy Review: Strawberry Shortcake M&M










Stars: 3 out of 5
Pros: Delicious strawberry flavor; look great
Cons: Too much white chocolate flavor at the end
The Bottom Line:
A bold new flavor
With too much white chocolate
To be next classic

Shorter than I’d Hope For in the Taste Department

I have a serious weakness for candy, and I love trying out new favorites from brands I like, so when I found out that M&M’s were creating two new flavors for Valentine’s Day this year, I had to give them a shot.  Target got the exclusive right to sell the White Strawberry Shortcake M&M's, which aren’t bad, but they aren’t that good either.

The first thing you notice when you open the bag is the smell.  The strawberry is very overwhelming, and I was afraid that it would be too much.  So I was pleasantly surprised when it wasn’t.  Yes, it is artificial strawberry flavoring, but it tastes pretty good.  What is a disappointment is the white chocolate base of the candy.  That aspect of the candy overwhelms at the end, and it just doesn’t work with the strawberry flavor we got earlier.  It’s not so bad I’d never have these again, but I also wouldn’t rush out and buy them next year.  I think they were trying for the cake and whipped cream part of strawberry shortcake, but they missed.

I’ve got to say the color pallet of these M&M’s is wonderful.  The bag is filled with little pink, cream, and white candies, perfectly capturing the idea of strawberry shortcake.

I do like white chocolate, but in this case, it just doesn’t quite work with the candy.  White Strawberry Shortcake M&M's aren’t truly bad, but they aren’t all that great either.

2 comments:

  1. I wondered why I'd never seen them. Don't even know where the nearest Target store is. No problem, I've never really cared for regular M&Ms. It's Peanut M&Ms for me. I could live on those things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny, I'm the opposite. While I do like Peanut M&Ms, I much prefer the regular M&Ms.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.