Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Ornament Review: Pinocchio 75th Anniversary - 2015 Hallmark Ornament



Stars: 5 out of 5
Pros: Great looking ornament with a clip from a famous song
Cons: I do wish it had a different song clip
The Bottom Line:
Anniversary
Brings us this great ornament
Famous song and all




My Enjoyment of This Ornament Comes with Strings Attached

2015 saw anniversaries for several of Disney’s animated movies, and Hallmark did their best of honor them with various ornaments, sometimes even more than one per movie.  That was the case with Pinocchio, which got two.  One of them harkens back the beginning of the film and even includes the best known song.

The ornament captures Pinocchio at the very beginning of the film.  He’s still a puppet, and an inanimate puppet at that.  Heck, he even still has strings.  The ornament finds him as a marionette, with strings attached to the handles that make him move.  He is captured in a fun pose with his arms out and one foot in the air.  The handle is attached to a holder, and Pinocchio himself is standing on a circular stand with 75 Years of Pinocchio on the front.

This is a magic ornament, which is this case means sound.  Press the button on the side of the ornament, and you’ll hear a just under 30 second clip of Jiminy Cricket singing “When You Wish Upon a Star,” one of the best known songs from the Disney musical canon period.  Naturally, this requires batteries to run, but you are in luck since your first set of two is included with the ornament.

And I must admit that song is my only complaint with the ornament.  Whenever I see the ornament, the song “I’ve Got No Strings” from later in the movie pops into my head.  And that’s the song I want to hear.  Oh, I know that “When You Wish Upon a Star” is the most famous song from the film and an appropriate song to play since it opens the movie and Pinocchio is a puppet on strings at the beginning of the movie.  But I want the other song!

Who ever said DisNerds had to be rational all the time anyway?

That complaint aside, this is a very good ornament.  It captures Pinocchio so well and it just looks great.  Heck, he arms even wiggle when you jiggle the handle connected to the strings, although this is designed as a decoration and not a toy and if you jiggle it too much, I’m sure it would break.  And yes, the quality of the sound clip is great as well.

With that nice circular base, I’m sure it’s no surprise that the ornament can be set out to be enjoyed year round.  And since there is nothing completely Christmassy about it, that’s a great thing.  Of course, if you choose to hang it on your tree, you’ll find the loop in top of the stand that Pinocchio is hanging from.  Slip a hook through it, and you’ll find that he hangs straight.

My silly complaint aside, I do love this ornament, song and all.  This is a great way to celebrate Pinocchio's 75th Anniversary for many years to come.

Original Price: $22.95

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.