Friday, January 8, 2016

January 8th's Book Beginnings and Friday 56

So, I kind of took two weeks off from Book Beginnings and Friday 56.  I actually didn't turn my computer on Christmas Eve or Christmas Day.  And I was getting back from a business trip last week and forgot about it.  But I'm back this week and ready to share some more teasers with you.

This week's book is Mother's Day Out by Karen MacInerney.




I've been reading Karen's cozy mysteries for years, and I love them.  This is a departure from those.  It's a comedic mystery, more so than she normally writes, but it's definitely not a cozy.  I'm completely enjoying it, however.  I think Stephanie Plum would be the best comparison.

Anyway, here's how the book begins.

After eight years of chiseling away at the petrified contents of Tupperware containers, wiping variety of organic substances off of two small children, and cleaning up after an incontinent Siamese cat, I thought I could stomach anything.
I was wrong.

And here's a great bit from page 56.

"Where is the minivan?"  My husband hovered over me, smelling like aftershave and shampoo.
"You smell nice," I said groggily.  "What about the minivan?"
"Where exactly is it?  You brought home the bumper.  What happened to the rest of it?"

I'm nearing the 200 page mark in this book, and I'm really curious how it is all going to come out.

You may have noticed my new banner picture.  I'm looking for feedback.  Do you like it?  Think it's too large?  Any thoughts you have on it, I'm all ears.  (And I'm not fishing for compliments.  I'm still not completely sure I like it.)

9 comments:

  1. I love your banner. Not too large, IMO. Book sounds good too. Here's mine. Friday Book Score

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like your banner. You have a wide selection of genres. The book sounds great. I love Stephanie Plum.
    sherry @ fundinmental Friday Memes

    ReplyDelete
  3. I adore your new banner! I want that whole tree of baking ornaments! Karen's new series sounds good. I'd love for you to check out mine at tinyurl.com/LisaKsBookReviewsMIC.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a great opening. I feel as if I already know this woman. The last line in the paragraph is a surprise that would make me keep reading. I'm wondering what happened to the minivan too.
    My Friday post features THE TIME IN BETWEEN.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I noticed the new banner right away, because it is so big! I liked being able to read all of the titles, and happy to see Mrs. P right in the center!

    ReplyDelete
  6. First thing I noticed was your new banner. :) I haven't read this author so I need to go check out her titles. :)

    Stormi
    Friday Memes

    ReplyDelete
  7. Welcome back!
    Sounds relatable, for a cozy. Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the new banner - noticed it right off! I also loved both the book beginning and the 56 ..totally cracked me up! Here's my Friday post

    ReplyDelete
  9. First thing I noticed was the new banner - thought I was on the wrong blog for a second. :)

    I like the sound of this one.

    Check out my Friday 56 (With Book Beginnings).

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.