Thursday, April 21, 2022

Book Review: Uneasy Prey by Annette Dashofy (Zoe Chambers Mysteries #6)

Stars: 5 out of 5
Pros: Strong characters and a twisty plot
Cons: Pete’s behavior a couple of times
The Bottom Line:
Target: Elderly
A race to find the buglers
Story pulls you in



Who Are the Monsters Targeting the Elderly?

Unfortunately, I can’t read all the books I want to read.  (Stupid day job.)  That’s why I seem to only get to one of Annette Dashofy’s books a year, but each time I pick up one of the books in the Zoe Cambers series, I’m reminded why I enjoy them so much.  Uneasy Prey was another such reminder.

Zoe has been on medical leave for a couple of months, but her first night back as a paramedic proves to eventful.  Her first call of the night involves an elderly woman who fell down the stairs to her basement.  In the rush to get her to the hospital, the woman wakes up briefly to insist that she was pushed and didn’t fall.

Sadly, the woman dies at the hospital, but Zoe and her boyfriend, Police Chief Pete Adams, immediately start trying to figure out what happened that night.  The investigation points to the local thieves who have been targeting the elderly, gaining entry by pretending to be utility workers.  Can Pete and Zoe track them down before they strike again?

While this may be labeled the Zoe Cambers Mysteries, Zoe and Pete really share main character duties.  The book is roughly split, with us spending time in both of their third person points-of-view.  Don’t worry, we aren’t head hopping, and the switches are always obvious.  I appreciate it and how it helps us get to know both characters well.

Speaking of which, they also get their own sub-plots here, which further help define the characters.  Trust me when I saw that there is little downtime in this book.  I was hooked early, and the twists kept coming until we reached the very end of the book.

But this never takes away from the characters.  We get to see several characters we’ve met in earlier books again, and it’s always nice to see what they are up to.  The new characters are strong and really make us care about the outcome.

And there’s Zoe and Pete.  They are inching forward in their relationship, and it’s always nice to see them growing closer.  I will admit I got frustrated with Pete a few times here.  Even if he had a point (and he did), his behavior was just going to drive Zoe to do what he didn’t want.  It surprised me mainly because I didn’t remember him being so obnoxious in previous books.  But this was a minor complaint.

With our main characters being an ambulance driver and police chief, it’s no surprise that this series isn’t a cozy series.  The plot is a little darker, and there is a little bit more violence and language than in the majority of the cozies I read.  However, as long as you know that going in, you’ll be fine.  Nothing is ever excessive or over the top – it fits the plot and tone of the book.

I’m really hoping I can get to the next book in the series later this year since I do want to catch up on Zoe’s adventures.  If you are behind as well, you’ll be happy to find Uneasy Prey is another strong book.

Check out the rest of the Zoe Chambers Mysteries.

7 comments:

  1. Love this series and so happy to have your strong recommendation behind it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Mark! This review reminds me to read this series. I have the first on my Kindle's TBR mountain so I believe I will move it up a few notches!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have not heard of this series, but it sounds amazing. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't have a day job and still haven't read even a third of all the books I want to read! This series has been on my TBR and I really need to pick up the first book in the series.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this series. Annette Dashofy is an excellent writer. I have never been disappointed by anything she has written.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.