Sunday, July 10, 2022

Music Review: To Love a Fool by Cory Asbury

Stars: 5 out of 5
Pros: Strong lyrics and melodies filled with timeless Biblical truths
Cons: Only a fool would find cons
The Bottom Line:
Ten beautiful tracks
Filled with encouraging truths
Glad I found Cory



I’m No Fool, So I Love This Release

I have sadly pretty much fallen out of the Christian music (or really any music) loop, so I hadn’t heard of Cory Asbury until a friend gave me his CD To Love a Fool.  I immediately fell in love with it.

This disc was released by Bethel Music, so sticking it in, I was expecting it to be a worship CD.  And I could see many of these songs, like “Sparrow,” working in a worship service.  However, it doesn’t sound like what I typically think of as a worship disc.  Instead, it hits my soft rock tastes perfectly.  That’s one reason I immediately fell in love with it.

Then there are the lyrics.  Take “Sparrow.”  The song talks about how God takes good care of us.  The first verse takes imagery from Jesus’s Sermon on the Mount about God caring for the sparrow and the lily.  However, the second verse goes further, with images that invoke trials.  It’s a familiar reminder, but it hits in a different way, and I like it for that.

The disc opens with “Canyons,” which marvels at God’s endless love for us.  Cory also wrote the similarly themed “Reckless Love” (which was on his previous release), and this is a vivid reminder.  Likewise, he marvels at God’s grace in “Crashing In.”

The title for the disc comes from “Nothing More Than You.”  Again, Cory is singing about God’s amazing grace for us.  And again, his words and imagery are wonderful.

This is more than I could ask for
More than I could dream
The One who made the world somehow thinks the world of me
The highest King of Heaven
Chose to love a food
I don’t understand it
But I know I want nothing more than You

When you think about it that way, it is hard to do anything but surrender to God, isn’t it?

The further we go into the disc, the less the songs seem like something that would be sung in church.  But that’s okay because it gives us songs like “Dear God,” a wonderful conversation between us and God from the times we try to handle things in our own might and then the reminder from God that His power is what we need no matter what we are dealing with.

I love songs themed around the story of the prodigal son, so I’m not at all surprised that I love “The Prodigal Song.”  It captures the part of the story where the son is ready to return to his father and the results when he does.  You can feel the desperation the son was feeling as he sings.

Some of these songs, like “I’m Sorry,” seem very personal, and I would love to know more about what inspired them.  However, the truths are universal.  Like how God uses trials in our lives, the theme of “Faithful Wounds” and “Unraveling.”  We’re also reminded that God is constantly working on us, no matter our past sins and shame in “The Father’s House.”

Cory has a wonderful voice.  You can hear the passion for the lyrics as he sings.  I also love his range, which make these melodies unique.  Yet it sounds natural and not forced as he sings.

Yes, I’ve tracked down more of Cory’s music, and I will be looking for any new releases from him in the future.  To Love a Fool is a strong disc that will connect your soul once again with timeless Biblical truths.

CD Length: 45:20
Tracks:
1. Canyons
2. Sparrows
3. Crashing In
4. Nothing More Than You
5. Dear God
6. The Prodigal Song
7. I’m Sorry
8. Faithful Wounds
9. Unraveling
10. The Father’s House

3 comments:

  1. Don't know anything about music and don't listen to it much. In my car and if working in the yard, etc., I tend to listen to books or podcasts. But, your analysis of why you like this disc is interesting. I did, however, also notice that you're 74 books toward your 100 goal on GR. That's exactly where I am! :) Thanks for the visit and have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you enjoyed this, Mark. Nice thorough review.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.