Sunday, July 17, 2022

Disney Pin Review: Space Mountain - Mickey Mouse the Main Attraction #1 - 2022 Release

Stars: 2 out of 5
Pros: The small space parts are cool
Cons: Too white overall
The Bottom Line:
Mickey starts series
There are some good elements
Too white overall


Mickey’s Turn in the Spotlight Starts with a Spacey Entry

Back in 2020, Disney released a series of limited edition items featuring Minnie Mouse celebrating various Disney attractions.  2022 is seeing Mickey’s turn in the spotlight in the Mickey Mouse, the Main Attraction series.  He’ll be visiting the same attractions that Minnie did and dressing accordingly, which means his first stop is Space Mountain.

Once again, I’ll be looking at the pins for the series.  Honestly, I was wondering what exactly they’d do since the three pin sets we got with the Minnie series were so great.  The biggest change is that we are getting one giant pin featuring Mickey instead of a three pin set.  I can see this since I’m not sure what else we’d do for another three pin set.

The pin for this month is very white, which makes sense given the outside of Space Mountain.  Mickey is standing with his right foot out, and he’s smiling.  I’ll admit that at first glance, I was reminded of a mummy more than I was Space Mountain since Mickey is wearing white and there are lots of lines – you know like the wrappings that a mummy would wear.  However, when you look closely, you can see the design of the mountain on his body.

Mickey is wearing a futuristic looking visor.  In the eye slot of that, we can see a bit of blue space.  His ears and arm and more purple and black space with some stars showing in them.  They did this on the Minnie pin set as well.  I like the look, but it just isn’t enough.

Honestly, I’m still on the fence about collecting this series (says the guy who has the first three already).  I’d be more interested if they were doing different attractions than they did two years ago.  Also, Mickey is in the same pose in all the pins that have been released so far.  I will probably still get them all, but I’m not racing to get them.

And this was an especially bad one to start with.  While I like the parts that show space, we needed more of that.  Maybe on his feet or something?  As it is, the pin is just too white.

This isn’t the best start for the Mickey Mouse the Main Attraction series.  Only completists will want to get Space Mountain.

1 comment:

  1. I was surprised that they were doing this series as it does seem like a bit of a retread from previous collections. I have really liked some of the plushes I've seen with this series but have resisted. Definitely agree about the mummy Mickey. It looks like Mickey is wearing a futuristic mummy costume.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.