Sunday, August 28, 2022

Disney Pin Review: Iwerks and Iwerks Stereoscopic Cameras - Windows of Main Street - 2021 Release


Stars
: 4 out of 5
Pros: Oswald included in window to honor two Disney legends
Cons: Writing on bottom half of window a little hard to read
The Bottom Line:
Oswald and Iwerks
Both rightfully honored here
Hist’ry in pin form


Dual Honors in this Main Street Windows Pin

If you’ve paid attention to the windows on Main Street in the Disney parks, you’ve picked up on the fact that they sometimes honor more than one member of the same family.  That’s the case with the pin I’m looking at this month in the Windows of Main Street pin series.  It is honoring Ub Iwerks and his son Don Iwerks.

I recognized Ub’s name immediately.  He was one of Disney’s early animators, working on some of the earliest animated shorts as well as helping create Disney’s famous multi-plane camera.  I wasn’t familiar with his son Don.  Don worked for Disney as well, focusing on cameras.  And he was responsible for the technology that created the Circle Vision films they used to have in Disneyland and still have in Epcot.

Once I learned that, it wasn’t a surprise to me that their window advertising a specialty camera shop.  In the upper part of the window is says “Iwerks and Iwerks Stereoscopic Cameras.”  Their names are at the bottom of this pane.  The bottom half of the window says “Repairs.  Modifications.  No two exactly alike.”  There’s a drawing of an old-fashioned camera on this pane as well.

As always, there’s a Disney character hiding behind part of the window.  In this case, the bottom half of the pane slides up to reveal Oswald.  I love that he got included here, and it makes sense because Ub worked on the Oswald shorts.

Unfortunately, the bottom pane is a little lighter than it could be, making it hard to read some of the writing.  It’s not as bad as some of the others in the series, and the upper part is very easy to read.  As usual, it is a perfect replicant of the window at Disney World, which is located above the bakery.

It’s wonderful to see Oswald and the Iwerks get recognized in this series.  As a result, I’m glad I have this pin in my collection, and I suspect that other Disney fanatics will be glad they got it as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.