Friday, August 26, 2022

August 26th's Friday Post

Friday is upon us once again!  That means it is time for a Friday post.  As usual, I'll be linking up to:

Book Beginnings
First Line Friday
Friday 56
Book Blogger Hop

The book I will be highlighting this week with teasers for the first three is Round Up the Usual Peacocks by Donna Andrews.

This is the thirty-first book in her popular Meg Langslow series.  It's a favorite series of mine that I've been reading for roughly 20 years now.  Here's how this particular entry opens:

"We need more peacocks!"
I glanced up from my notebook-that-tells-me-when-to-breathe, as I call my combination to-do list and calendar.  Dad was standing just inside the back door.  He worse elbow-length white leather gauntlets and a pith helmet with heavy netting thrown back to reveal his face.  His beekeeping outfit.
"If you're looking for peacocks in the beehives, that's probably why you're not finding any," I said.

Moving to page 56, we find this:

The whole system sounded completely unbusinesslike to me.
But then, it wasn't about business, was it?  It was about money.
And power.

Yes, this is a mystery, but it has a liberal dose of humor and a bunch of fun characters.  I will be reviewing it on Tuesday, so I hope you'll come back then to read my review.

Meanwhile, let's jump into this week's Book Blogger Hop.  This week's question is:

If you receive a request from an author to read his/her book and you don't have time, do you suggest another way to help the author?

I guess this is where I have to give a true confession.  I only respond to authors if I'm interested in their book.  I don't feel guilty about not responding to the ones that are clearly spam and having paid any attention to what I review.  But I do feel guilty about the ones I am interested in but don't have the time.  I'm bad about email.  So no, I don't make any suggestions if I can't review the book.

And on that note, have a great weekend.

14 comments:

  1. LOVE the peacock holding the magnifying glass xD Also, thirty-first book?! That series needs its own bookcase! I like a mystery that also has humour in it, it somehow heightens the tension if a joke sometimes interrupts it! Thanks for sharing and I hope you have a lovely weekend :)
    Juli @ A Universe in Words

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds intriguing! Thanks for sharing, and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that opener! This sounds like a series I'd really enjoy! Thanks for sharing! Hope you have a great weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. 31st book? WOW! Sounds good but with that many, it must be good! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been wanting to read this series, but I haven't had a chance. This does sound like a good one though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sounds like a great series! The quotes are good and I love the cover!

    Have a great weekend!

    Emily @ Budget Tales Book Blog
    My post:
    https://budgettalesblog.wordpress.com/2022/08/26/friday-56-norse-mythology-by-neil-gaiman/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, 31 books in the series is a LOT! Glad it has kept your interest so far! Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My first line comes from The Finding of Miss Fairfield by Grace Hitchcock:
    Sophia Fairfield’s heart skipped at the sight if Mother holding a damp handkerchief to her eyes as Father and his business partner Prescott Payne , stood before the floor length windows facing Charleston Harbor with their heads together, soeaking in low somber tones over the crackling of the fireplace.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Friday!
    I'm currently reading Eloise and the Grump Next Door by St. Clair and Proctor. It is so much fun!
    "The sun is an evil, evil orb."
    Hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a commitment to a series. 20 years? Wow. Glad you have something that has fed you continuously for so many years. Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Round Up The Usual Peacocks sure looks like a lot of fun. I get tired of responding to authors as well. I put a note on my blog saying I'm too busy for reviews, and that has cut down on the amount of requests a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  12. "We need more peacocks." That isn't a sentence you hear every day! Donna Andrews is new to me, but if her books have held your attention for so long, I should give them a go. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This book was so much fun! I'm terrible about email too. I've had a number of emails from authors I am interested in but just didn't have time to deal with them.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm reading A Worthy Pursuit by Karen Witemeyer. The first line is: "I'm closing the school, Miss Atherton, and that's my final word on the subject."

    Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.