Monday, August 29, 2022

Music Review: Healer Deluxe by Casting Crowns

Stars: 5 out of 5
Pros: 14 great tracks from Casting Crowns
Cons: 7 of them were released last year
The Bottom Line:
Full Healer release
Some new, some we got last year
Combined, a strong disc



Doubling Healer with Great New Songs

When I bought Casting Crown’s CD Healer earlier this year, I was a bit surprised to find out that it only had seven songs on it.  Then, a couple weeks ago, I saw that they were releasing a deluxe edition.  Often, when an artist releases a deluxe edition, there are two or three new songs, but in this case, we get seven new songs, bringing us to a total of fourteen great tracks.

If you’ve already bought the original, you know what good songs we have for half the tracks here.  And the seven songs we already have are mixed in with the new songs although they are stacked near the beginning.  I’m not going to go into all the detail about these tracks again to focus on the new songs.  I will direct you to my earlier review for that content.

So, what about the seven new songs we get here?  As I always said, I really like them.  Then again, that’s no surprise since I’ve been a big Casting Crowns fan since their debut.

First up, we get “Jesus at a Distance,” a song of recommitment to giving our entire lives to Him.  It’s a good midtempo track and convicting in a good way.

I really like the reminder of “The Devil is on the Run.”  This is a fun, upbeat track that talks about who is really going to win despite what we see around us.  It’s a great reminder, and the music gives it a triumphant feel.

“No Hurt” reminds us that Jesus is able to heal us no matter what emotions we are struggling with.  Again, it’s an upbeat song that helps us truly appreciate the message.  I also really like the placement since it is after the bittersweet song “Scars in Heaven.”  Combined, the two admit to feeling hurt but then reminding us of the source of our healing.

They slow things down a little for the anthem “All Because of Mercy,” a great reminder that God’s mercy is how we have been forgiven of our past.

“I’m Still Out Here” is a bit of a change as it is written from the point of view of someone dealing with pain and questions.  While so many of the songs here are reminders of the hope we have in Jesus, this is written from someone who has been crushed by pain or doesn’t believe.  But it is still a reminder that they need us to come into their lives and love them and show them Jesus.  It’s a mid-tempo song, and another powerful one.

The next track fits in perfectly.  “Song of a Broken Heart” is written from the point of view of someone reaching out to the person struggling.  Tempo wise, they fit together perfectly, too.

The disc ends with a cover of Michael Card’s “Gentle Healer.”  I was never a big Michael Card fan, so this song was new to me, and I really like it.  What makes it stand out is that it is a cappella.  Their harmonies are beautiful.

As you can see, I really do like all the new tracks on the disc.  If you’re a fan of this band, I definitely recommend that you get it, especially if you didn’t get the earlier half release.  Honestly, I’ve noticed more artists doing stuff like this.  Some are releasing singles well before they release a new disc that collects those songs.  I’m probably one of the few odd balls out there who still buys physical media, so it probably isn’t as much of an issue for others who buy digital.  If you do that, it is easier to buy the new tracks here.  I was able to pre-order my disc for a good discount, so I’m definitely not complaining in this case.  If you can still get the good discounted price, you’ll definitely want to jump on this right away.

But that’s a discussion for another time and place.  As I said, if you like Casting Crowns, you’ll be pleased with the songs here whether all of them are new to you or half of them are new to you.  And if you are looking for songs to encourage and challenge you, this is a disc you’ll enjoy.

I hope this doesn’t become a pattern, but it’s hard to complain about the deluxe version of Healer since it has so many great songs.

CD Length: 49:56
Tracks:
1. Desert Road
2. Healer
3. Jesus at a Distance
4. The Devil is on the Run
5. Scars in Heaven
6. No Hurt
7. Crazy People
8. Anything but Easy
9. All Because of Mercy
10. 2nd Opinions
11. The Power of the Cross
12. I’m Still Out Here
13. Song of a Broken Heart
14. Gentle Healer

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.