Friday, August 12, 2022

Novella Review: Haunted House Murder by Leslie Meier

Stars: 3 out of 5
Pros: A few moments are enjoyable
Cons: Weak story overall
The Bottom Line:
Who bought the old house?
Makes for a weak novella
It’s for fans only



Weak Novella

I don’t normally read Leslie Meier’s Lucy Stone series, but I have read a number of the novellas featuring the character since they’ve been in anthologies with authors I enjoy.  That’s how I can to read “Haunted House Murder.”

Halloween is coming, but everyone in Tinker’s Cove is talking about the old, abandoned house in town.  While it looks run down from the outside, someone has bought it and moved in during the middle of the night.  However, they aren’t very friendly, rebuffing Lucy’s and other’s attempts to welcome them to town.  Then the rumors start flying and strange events start happening.  What is really going on in this house?

I know that the Lucy Stone series is extremely popular, but I struggle to get through the stories I have read.  Part of it is Lucy’s family.  I haven’t spent enough time with them to look past their faults and love them, I guess.  And, let’s face it, that is often what we have to do with people in real life.  In this case, I found the story to be better suited to a short story than even a novella.  It’s not bad, but it felt drawn out and a little forced.

As I said, this is a novella, and it’s roughly 100 pages long.  As such, it is a quick read.  If you already have the anthology, released with the same name, where the story originated, there’s no need to buy it again here.

If you are a fan of Lucy’s and haven’t read “Haunted House Murder” yet, now’s the time to pick it up.  But if you aren’t already a fan of the series, I recommend you walk right on by.

NOTE: I received an ARC of the original collection.

2 comments:

  1. Nice review, Mark. Sorry you didn't completely love this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I generally do my 'spooky' reading in October. Thanks for sharing these for consideration.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.