Friday, August 19, 2022

August 19th's Friday Post

We've made it to Friday!  That means once again, I'll be linking up to:

Book Beginnings
First Line Friday
Friday 56
Book Blogger Hop

For the third three, I'll be pulling quotes from Stardust Trail by J. R. Sanders.


Yes, this is a mystery, but it's not one of my typical cozies.  It's a historical mystery set in 1938 Hollywood, and the main character is a former cop turned PI.

Here's how the book begins:

In Hollywood, anything can happen, and usually does.  If I'd hunted up a pastrami on my own side of Vermont, maybe none of this would have happened.  Maybe it would have happened to someone else.  Either way would have been fine by me.

Meanwhile, on page 56, we get this short and sweet quote:

"I can stick around," I told Okel.  "Might improve my education."

I really enjoyed this one.  Lots of fun and plenty of action to keep me reading.  I'll be reviewing this one on Monday, so not too long to wait to read my full review.  I hope you'll come back to read it.

Meanwhile, let's take a look at this week's Book Blogger Hop.  The question is:

Do you run your reviews through editing software before posting?

I write my reviews in Word.  It will catch some of my typos and errors.  I then save my reviews and go back through later, usually a day or more later, and edit them myself.  Even with those steps, I'm still embarrassed at what I see later when I'm looking at old reviews.

That's it for me this week.  Hope you have a great weekend.

14 comments:

  1. It's not a typical mystery I would read either, but the excerpts draw you in and it sounds like it could be really good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My first line is from Deception by Patricia Bradley:
    Today was not a good day to die.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love those snippets. And the setting and time period have me intrigued. Thanks for sharing! Hope you have a great weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That book sounds good. I use Microsoft Word too and read it through a few times over a few days.

    Have a great weekend!

    Emily @ Budget Tales Book Blog
    My post:
    https://budgettalesblog.wordpress.com/2022/08/19/book-blogger-hop-do-you-run-your-reviews-through-editing-software-before-posting/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like it could be an interesting read, hope you enjoy it! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always enjoy books set in the early days of Hollywood. This one sounds like a fun read. This week I gave quotes from four books, so I deviated from the standard

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful time period in Hollywood! Sounds like a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a good beginning! I want to know how he got from Vermont to Hollywood. That's a pretty far way to travel.

    Come see my Friday bookish fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In this case, he's referring to Vermont Blvd (or Ave. of something like that), not the state.

      Delete
  9. Happy Friday!
    I'm just beginning Harvest Moon by Denise Hunter.
    "It was not the sort of day when bad things happened. Eighty degrees. September breeze. Sky expanding, wide and blue, above a canopy of trees. Air thick with the fresh smell of pine and the loamy scent of earth. It was a perfect Saturday."
    That does sound like a perfect day! I hope you have an excellent weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That book sounds like a good kind of different. And, I totally know what you mean about going back and finding errors in old reviews. I swear I read through them several times carefully, but.... sigh.
    Terrie @ Bookshelf Journeys

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm currently reading A Refuge of Convenience by Kathy Geary Anderson and the first line is: Jonas was dead.
    Hope you've had a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm intrigued. This definitely sounds a bit different but I like the teasers you shared.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.