Monday, August 1, 2022

July 2022's Reading Summary

Welcome to August!  It's time to take a look at what I read in July, which was a pretty good month overall.

I have gotten the index updated.

All ratings are on a scale of 1 (bad) to 5 (great).  The links will take you to my full review.


A Perilous Pal by Laura Bradford (A Friend for Hire #2) – 5

Emma Westlake is thrilled to have a new client for her new A Friend for Hire business.  Kim Felder’s kids have moved out, and her husband has left her, leaving Kim as loose ends.  Together, Emma and Kim start a list of things that Kim would like to explore, but Kim adds a few suggestions of how to get back at her ex.  They are intended as a joke, but when he is murdered that night, the police consider them evidence that Kim killed him.  Emma may have just met Kim, but she is certainly that Kim is innocent.  Can she prove it?

Since the first book set up the premise of the series, this book was able to jump right into the story.  We move forward at a steady pace, and my interest never lagged until we reached the logical climax.  Most of the characters from the first book are back.  I did find the same irritants from the first here again as a result, but they were minor since I love all the characters overall.  I even laughed a few times at their interactions, and I loved seeing their storylines advance.  I’m curious where they will go next.  I also appreciate the realistic way that Emma’s new romantic relationship progressed here.  Fans of Laura’s other books will enjoy the Easter Eggs she’s worked into the book.  This book really is like a warm hug.  It’s fun, mysterious and refreshing.  If that is what you are looking for, you’ll enjoy it.

NOTE: I received an ARC of this book.

 

Death by Bubble Tea by Jennifer J. Chow (L.A. Night Market Mysteries #1) – 4

Yale Yee is not thrilled that her cousin, Celine, is coming for a visit and even less thrilled when her father suggests the two of them work together to represent his restaurant at the new night market in her neighborhood of L.A.  However, she is will to admit by the end of the first night that things went well.  That’s before she finds a dead body on her way back to her apartment.  The young woman is lying next to one of the distinctive glasses that Yale and Celine served their drinks in, so the police zero in on them as their prime suspects.  Can Yale figure out what really happened?

Like many firsts in series, this one has to do a juggling act of introducing characters and setting while also getting the story going.  It does a good job, especially since some of the things introduced early on do come into play later.  The pacing did lag a little in the middle before we reached the logical solution.  The characters did a few things that felt like they were more plot driven than coming from real characterizations.  On the other hand, I really did like the characters and their relationships kept me reading.  I found Yale’s aversion to technology interesting and fitting her character.  Naturally, we get a couple recipes at the end of the book.  I’m looking forward to visiting these characters again when the second book comes out.

NOTE: I received an ARC of this book.

 


The Drinking Gourd by Katherine Fast (Casey Cavendish Mysteries #1) – 3

After spending ten years in jail for drug dealing, Casey Cavendish is back in her home town, the small college town of Oberlin, Ohio, trying to finally get her college degree.  She also still maintains her innocence to the charges against her.  However, drug dealing seems to have picked up in town recently, so the rumors aren’t leaving her alone.  When her former best friend is found dead, Casey finds herself caught up in a murder investigation.  Can she figure out what is happening so she doesn’t go back to jail?

The premise of this book sounded intriguing, so I jumped in eagerly.  However, the end result doesn’t quite work the way it should.  The story is as much about Casey dealing with what happened to her and it is the current crime.  While interesting, it meant some of the other characters were really driving the investigation.  In fact, there are several storylines that felt more important than the sub-plots than they should have been.  The story does have some good twists, but they feel a little abrupt when they happen.  A few things felt forced into the story, and I didn’t get a good feel for the 1970’s setting.  This isn’t one of my cozies, but I was mostly okay with the content, except for one chapter that definitely crossed some lines.  When I was reading the book, I got caught up in the story, but there were too many issues to keep me from completely enjoying it.

 

Poison Pen by Sheila Lowe (Claudia Rose #1) – 4

Back in college, Claudia Rose became friends with Lindsey Alexander.  While the two had a falling out several years ago, Claudia is still upset to learn that Lindsey has died.  Thanks to the note she left behind, the police have ruled it a suicide, but Ivan, Lindsey’s business partner, thinks that something happened to Lindsey.  He hires Claudia, a forensic handwriting expert, to look at the note and determine if Lindsey really wrote it or not.  Claudia does agree that it looks suspicious, but as she digs to find a hand writing sample she can use to make a definitive decision, she starts to uncover secrets that Lindsey and those around her were hiding.  Break ins and attacks lead her to think something else is going on.  Can she figure it out?

I’ve had this book in one form or another since it first came out, but I recently bought the 2021 reissue and read that.  This is definitely darker than the cozies I mostly read, and it has the content to go with the darker themes.  The plot was strong, with plenty to keep us engaged.  There was one aspect I didn’t like, but it’s probably just me.  I’ll still definitely give the series another read.  That’s partially because of the characters.  I really liked Claudia and her friends, plus some of the people she met along the way.  I did find a few references in the version I read that dated when the book originally came out.  Hard to believe how much things have changed in only 15 years.  There are more than a handful of missing words – enough to be jarring but not enough to make the reading experience bad.  I loved the LA setting and the celebrities who were name dropped.  Hopefully, I can visit Claudia again sooner rather than later.

 

Movieland by Lee Goldberg (Eve Ronin #4) – 5

Eve Ronin’s latest case starts in Malibu Creek State Park.  A former movie studio backlot, it’s been known for hiking and camping for years.  But someone shot at two female campers, killing one and wounding the other.  Eve’s partner, Duncan Pavone, immediately connects the shooting to some cases he was investigating before Eve joined the department, but the higher ups are refusing to acknowledge that this is anything but an isolated incident.  Can Eve find the truth no matter where it lays?

This strong book may be the best in the series to date.  I couldn’t figure out where the plot was going to go for quite a while, and I mean that in the best way possible.  Once I reached the end, everything was resolved in a logical manner.  Eve got some great growth here, and all the characters, old and new, were strong and at their best.  There are a couple of sub-plots that grow out of the events in previous books in the series.  While you could read this as a standalone, I recommend you read the series in order.  Since this is a police procedural, there is a tad more content that I try to avoid, but it was kept to a minimum.  I also really enjoyed the humor in the book.  If you are looking for a strong mystery, you’ll be glad you picked this one up.

 

The Pajama Frame by Diane Vallere (Madison Night #5) – 4

Madison Night is surprised when her friend Alice Sweet leaves her the factory for Sweet Dreams, a pajama company that was closed years ago after a tragic death.  Rumors over the decades hinted there may be more to the death than was reported at the time, and there are those who want to get in and see if they can find any clues for themselves.  Before Madison can decide exactly what to do with the building, she stumbles over a very fresh dead body.  Can she figure out what is going on?

This book started out well, and it never really let up.  I was engaged the entire time, and the twists came faster as we got closer.  Unfortunately, one aspect of the plot was never really fully explained, but the rest of the mystery is successfully wrapped up.  Once again, Madison grows here, and I enjoy seeing her journey.  The rest of the cast is just as strong and engaging.  Fans of Doris Day movies will enjoy a few Easter eggs hidden in the book, although if you miss them (and I’m sure I missed a couple), it doesn’t take anything away from the story itself.  Some humor sprinkled throughout the book added to the fun.  If you, like me, need to catch up on this series, you’ll enjoy this book.

 

The Drop by Michael Connelly (Harry Bosch #15) – 5

LAPD Detective Harry Bosch is excited when he and his partner get handed a hot lead on a cold case from 1989.  DNA from a blood sample has identified a suspect.  The problem?  He was eight-years-old when the murder happened.  Before they can figure out what is really going on, they are handed a fresh case.  Councilman Irvin Irving’s son died when he fell out of a hotel balcony.  The question is, did he jump or was he pushed.  Despite their previous history, Irving specifically requested Bosch work the case.  Can he avoid the politics and solve both cases?

I was immediately intrigued with both of the cases presented here.  Between the two, the story was always moving forward, and I had a hard time stopping before I reached the logical climax.  One aspect was left opened, but it was small.  One of the storylines goes pretty dark, and overall this is a darker book than I typically read, but as long as you know that, you’ll be fine.  I do like Bosch, but some of his behavior to his partner was frustrating here.  On the other hand, I enjoy watching his relationship with his daughter continue to grow.  This is another strong entry that will please fans of the series.

 

Murder Through the English Post by Jessica Ellicott (Beryl and Edwina #6) – 5

Edwina’s first day at the local magistrate ends with a complaint about a public brawl between two men she thought were friends.  When she gets to the bottom of things, she discovers that one of them received a poison pen letter and believed what it said about his friends.  She is concerned about what this might mean in the village, especially after Beryl gets one.  When Constable Gibbs asks them to look into it, they learn just how widespread the problem is.  Can they figure out who is sending them before the damage gets worse?

This is another charming mystery for mismatched sleuths Edwina and Beryl in the aftermath of World War I.  I had a few pieces figured out before they did, but I didn’t figure most of it out until I reached the end.  I was in awe of how it all came together when I did.  Once again, I enjoyed seeing the growth in our two leads and in the other series regulars.  At times the introspection can be a bit much, but that’s a minor complaint.  I also enjoy how the time period comes to life on the pages.  Fans will enjoy this latest outing, and if you haven’t started the series yet, you’ll be glad you did.

NOTE: I received an ARC of this book.

 

Mint Chocolate Murder by Meri Allen (Ice Cream Shop Mysteries #2) – 5

September has fallen, and the crowds have dropped off from their summer peak at Udder Delicious, but manager Riley Rhodes is finding life isn’t slowing down yet thanks to the art festival that former supermodel Maude Monico is hosting at the castle she’s purchased just outside of town. Riley is catering the opening night ice cream social, and that allows her to observe the weekend’s guest of honor, Adam Blasco, a controversial photographer. He fails to show up for his talk the next day, and he is soon found dead, locked in the castle’s former dungeon. Now Riley has to figure out not only how he came to be there, but who wanted him dead.

Yes, there is a reason that this castle (and a Scottish castle at that) is in the middle of Connecticut. That adds a fun layer to this mystery, but it does require a bit of set up at the beginning. Between that and meeting the victim and suspects, we are able to ease into the story. Since we have a locked room puzzle and in addition to figuring out who the killer is, there is plenty to keep us engaged, and the pages flew by until I reached the end. I enjoyed meeting the characters last year, and they were just as charming here. Meanwhile, the suspects were strong. While there actually isn’t much mention of mint chocolate here (a favorite flavor of mine), pumpkin spice proves to be a popular ice cream flavor in the story, and we get a recipe for it in the end. Whether you love ice cream or not, you’ll find this book a delicious sequel that you’ll enjoy. 

NOTE: I received an ARC of this book. 

 

An Almost Purrfect Murder by Jaqueline Vick (Frankie Chandler Pet Psychic Mystery #3) – 4

A cruise to Alaska isn’t Frankie’s idea of a vacation, but when her best friend, Penny, decides to get married in the middle of a cruise, she goes along, especially since she’s the maid of honor. The first night, Frankie watches the entertainment, which includes a cat trainer. She surprised to find one of the cats outside her door the next morning transmitting some weird messages that only begin to make sense when she finds the dead body of the trainer on the lifeboat below her cabin. Can she convince anyone that he was murdered?

In a moment of serendipity, I read this book on an Alaskan cruise I took recently. It was fun and strange to read about Frankie in places I was visiting, just in a different order. Yes, this is one of the few paranormal cozy series I read since Frankie can communicate with animals, but it’s a minor part of the story.   The plot was uneven with the wedding and romantic subplots taking up pages as well. Since the book is the third in the series, I was definitely invested in those stories, but a little more time on the mystery would have been nice. Still, I was impressed with how all the clues came together in the end. Most of the characters were new, and I enjoyed getting to know them, suspects and family members alike. I laughed multiple times as I was reading at the antics of the two and four legged characters. Overall, this is a fun book that fans of the series will enjoy. 

8 comments:

  1. Nice haul for July. I like Bosch's earlier books. I might read up to 15 since it sounds pretty good. - Lyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Murder Through The Post sounds fabulous, and it looks like an established series too. More to enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Decent job!! I hope August is also a great month!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great month of reading! I also enjoyed The Perilous Pal!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I bought the Jennifer Chow book and found the Laura Bradford book at the library.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh lots of fab books here! I'm going on vacation next week and bringing the second book in a cozy with me.

    Lauren @ www.shootingstarsmag.net

    ReplyDelete
  7. I used to read the Bosch series faithfully, but have fallen away as others take my attention. Right now I'm zooming through the Louise Penny Gamache series. I'd classify them as cozy mysteries since the murder is present, of course, but is never graphically described or grisly. In general I find the plots more complex than many of the cozies I've read, which I really enjoy - plus the characters! My goodness, she writes great characters. Something to try maybe?
    Terrie @ Bookshelf Journeys

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great month of reading! A lot of mysteries that sound good.
    Have a great August reading month.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.