Friday, February 16, 2024

February 16th's Friday Post

Welcome to this week's Friday Post.  As usual, I will be linking up to:

Book Beginning
First Line Friday
Friday 56
Book Blogger Hop

This week, I'm pulling quotes from Mission Manhattan by James Ponti.


That's right, I took a mini break from my mysteries for a middle grade book.  Of course, since the main characters are spies, it's a mystery in many ways.  Just a slightly different one.

And the book is lots of fun, as you can tell from how the book opens:

Spy missions were nothing like spy movies. All Cairo had to do was look in a mirror to see that. He was about to go undercover for the first time, and rather than a tuxedo or finely tailored suit, he was wearing a bumblebee costume.

And that pretty much sets the tone for the rest of the book.  Yes, there is spying and danger, but there's also plenty of humor.

Meanwhile, on page 56, we find this exchange:

"Why are you using that computer?"
"I'm trying to get to BBC dot com," Mother said.
This answer confused the captain and momentarily stalled him.
"Something's gone terribly wrong, but my Italian is not good enough to understand your discussion," Mother said. "I need an English-language news feed so I can figure out what's happening."
I know I'm giving you quotes without the context I normally do.  I hope you enjoy anyway.

This book was great.  My full review will be up on Sunday (assuming I get it edited and scheduled).

Now, let's turn to this week's Book Blogger Hop.  The question is:

Do you keep an active list of favorite authors—that you would spend your milk money on—to have it when they publish a book?

Yes and no.  I don't have one written down anywhere, but I have a mental list.  You could probably argue that my reviews form that list since I look through them every so often to see if some of the authors I haven't heard from in a while have anything new.

Have a great weekend!

7 comments:

  1. I read the first book in this series, and I enjoyed it so much that I'd love to read on. And set in Manhattan? Yes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love a bit of humour in books.

    I keep a mental list of books, put some on my Goodreads want to read list and if they are really good I order them to be given to me for my birthday 🤣

    Have a great weekend!

    Emily @ Budget Tales Book Blog
    My post:
    https://budgettalesblog.wordpress.com/2024/02/16/first-line-friday-the-big-the-bad-and-the-aunties-by-jesse-sutanto/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Every once in a while it is nice to tuck into a MG book for a bit of break. Glad you enjoyed this one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Friday!
    I'm almost done with Calling on the Matchmaker by Jody Hedlund. I love this book!
    "He didn't know what to say, didn't want to probe, but he also didn't want to ignore her obvious distress. Rather than say the wrong thing, he stood silently and waited."
    Have a great weekend! 😀❤️📚

    ReplyDelete
  5. And I've been spending my weekend reading some adult novels! Sometimes it's good to have a busman's vacation and not have to write a review of what I read. Good for you for writing one of Ponti's new book.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love those excerpts. I'll have to check out this series. Hope you have a great week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh this looks fun! I haven't read middle grade much lately but I'll have to add this to my reading list.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.