Thursday, February 8, 2024

Book Review: DM Me for Murder by Sarah E. Burr (Trending Topics Mysteries #3)

Stars: 5 out of 5
Pros: Coco and friends, great plot
Cons: I have nothing sitting in my DMs for cons
The Bottom Line:
Influencer dead
Can Coco find the killer?
It’s warm, cozy fun




Mega-Influencer’s Murder Leads to Mega Trouble

With each one of Sarah E. Burr’s books I read, I’m falling more in love with the cozy worlds she creates.  I was looking forward to returning to the Trending Topics Mysteries for a third case with DM Me for Murder, and I wasn’t disappointed.

The series features Coco Cline, an influencer and social media consultant for businesses.  She lives in her hometown of Central Shores, Delaware.  Between her lifestyle blog and her clients, she is kept plenty busy.  But she’s never too busy to add sleuthing to her schedule when murder rears its ugly head.

However, murder is the farthest thing from Coco’s mind that Monday morning.  Instead, she is thrilled that mega-influencer LaTage wants to use Coco’s company, Center of Attention Consulting, to launch her rebranding.  Then Coco arrives at their meeting to find LaTage dead.  With the police asking Coco for help understanding the online world that LaTage inhabited, she can’t help but dig just a little deeper.  Will she be able to uncover a clue that will lead to the killer?

This book wastes no time diving into the mystery.  From there, it keeps giving us twists and surprises until we reach the great climax.  I really was impressed with how this one was plotted and how Coco pieced it all together.  We get a couple of great twists and plenty of well-developed suspects before we reach the end.

But I was most excited to read this book to visit Coco and her friends again.  She has a tight group of friends, and that circle is beginning to expand some, which I enjoy.  It was also nice to see some relationships developing naturally as the characters grow and change.  I loved spending time with them again.

As the town’s name implies, this is a beach community.  The book takes place in September, but the days are still warm.  If you are wishing for a nice beach vacation right about now, you’ll love escaping into this setting.

Obviously, this is a more techy themed cozy mystery, which I think is great.  The more themes we can get into cozies, the better.  Don’t worry, if you aren’t a social media super user, you’ll still understand everything you need to follow the plot.  And, we spend plenty of time talking to suspects in person in addition to looking at LaTage’s online world for clues.

DM Me for Murder is another fantastic book.  If you are looking for something different in your cozies, you’ll be glad this series trended to the top of her to be read pile.

NOTE: I received an ARC of this book.

2 comments:

  1. I don't think there could be a better way to start my day than by reading this fabulous review! Oh, I am SO happy you enjoyed this latest Coco adventure. I just love writing this group of friends and their shenanigans. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds so good! I love cozies, and it's nice to see more "modern" hobbies instead of the same ones that like baking or bookstore owners - though those are great too.

    Lauren @ www.shootingstarsmag.net

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.