Thursday, May 2, 2013

Music Review: The Loving Kind by Cindy Morgan

Stars: 4 out of 5
Pros: Songs that remind us of the events of Passion week in an emotionally satisfying way.
Cons: A few of the songs just don't work like they should.
The Bottom Line:
Easter themed release
Most of the tracks work so well
Passion week staple




My Easter Soundtrack Isn't Complete Without This CD

While there are several songs about Good Friday and Easter I love, very few artists record projects that deal specifically with the most important holiday for Christians.  I have often bemoaned that fact, which is one reason why I picked up Cindy Morgan's The Loving Kind.

I'm not normally a fan of Cindy's music, although I am a huge fan of her husband, Christian author Sigmund Brouwer.  In the late 90's, they took a trip together to Israel.  They result was a couple books from him and this CD from her.  Figuring they should all go together, I bought the CD.  And I faithfully pull it out every year to listen to during Passion Week.  It was only within the last couple of years that I began to look forward to listening to it, however.  Yes, it really did take that long to grow on me.

The 13 songs on the disc pretty much follow the events of the final week of Jesus' life in chronological order.  There are a few songs slightly out of order, but it works.  Obviously, we only really get snapshots of the final events, but the notes include scripture references for each song, so we can see the inspiration more clearly.

"In the Garden" starts us off with a fun Israel folk song feel to the music.  This song covers thousands of years of history.  It starts with Adam and Eve sinning in the Garden of Eden, touches on Jesus' life, and ends with Jesus in Gethsemane.  It's a fun opener.

Things get a little rocky (okay, adult contemporary pop/rock) for "The March."  The song represents Palm Sunday and talks about the different motivations of those who took part in or judged the events of that day.  The mix of horns and accordion with keyboard and guitar almost work, but it tries to do a little too much stylistically to truly work.

The new four tracks, on the other hand, are all winners.  Up first are two ballads.  "The Loving Kind" is written from Peter's point of view.  It is mainly about his regret for denying that he knows Jesus during the trials.  To me, this is the biggest misplace since it really should go later in the disc chronologically, especially since it ends with the hope of forgiveness.  However, musically, it does fit well here.  It's more of a mid tempo ballad filled with piano.  I have a feeling the decision was to leave the harsher rock songs together.  But we'll get to those in a minute.

"The Last Supper" is my favorite song about this meal.  Wes King makes a guest appearance here, and he and Cindy sing a beautiful duet that combines the famous words from that meal (This is my body broken for you) with the sadness Jesus must have felt knowing that His time on Earth this these friends was over.  This is a slower, guitar and string driven ballad that compliments the voices.

Things heat up with light rocker "Devil Man," written from Judas' point of view.  It starts quite and slow but builds with each verse.  The song manages to get a little into the remorse that Judas felt later.  I must admit to feeling a bit guilty about how fun I find this song.

We're back to ballad territory for "Can You Hear Me?"  This song starts out with quiet piano but adds strings in as it begins to soar.  The song is a moving reflection of the human emotions Jesus went through that night as he prayed in Gethsemane.  He's pleading to be heard by any of His friends or even His Heavenly Father.

The next trio of songs are about the trials.  Here's where the disc falters.  I actually like pop/rocker "The Only Way," which are the trials from Jesus' point of view.  "Hard Heart," however, does work for me.  It attempts to introduce some jazz into the proceedings, but the rockier feel just doesn't work for me.  It's a shame because the railing against the Pharisees is an important message that all Christians can use.  Rounding out this trio is "The Whipping."  The only good thing I can say about this track is that it is only a minute and a half.  The song takes on a rock alternative style with distorted guitar that attempts to make us feel like Jesus probably felt after His whipping.  But it does not work for me in any way shape or form.

Things get better with the next couple of songs.  We are back to the ballads.  "Higher" is the song of the crucifixion.  Once again, we get the song from Jesus' point of view as He cries out to be mentally released from all the anguish.  Equally moving is "Take My Life," a song of commitment written by Mary Magdalene.  The song is wonderful for the simplicity of Mary's faith.  She knows she found something in Jesus that she can't find anywhere else, and she commits the rest of her life to Him as a result.  That comes through at the end of the chorus with the line "'Cause I believe /That Your love can save/Even a retch like me."

"Alive and Well" gets us back to pop/rock territory as Cindy reminds us that Jesus' death was for us.  But it doesn't stop there.  It reminds us that Jesus rose.  Frankly, I am slightly disappointed that this is the only song about the resurrection.  I often think as Christians we focus on Good Friday to the exclusion of Easter Sunday.  Frankly, if Jesus had not risen, Good Friday would mean nothing.  I like this song for what it is, but I would love to have seen a song that really drove home what the resurrection means.

The disc closes with a song of praise for our redeemer.  "Praise the King" would honestly fit into any church service as a modern day hymn.  It doesn't just focus on the events of 2000 years ago but praises God for everything He has gone for us.  While a song a bit more focuses on Good Friday and Easter Sunday might have been better, I'm not complaining.  A praise song feels necessary here, and this song never fails to lift my heart in praise.

No, The Loving Kind is not the perfect Easter project.  But it is certainly very good.  I'm glad I gave it a chance to grow on me.  It took several years, but now I look forward to pulling it out as a soundtrack to my Passion Week activities.

CD Length: 49:11
Tracks:
1. In the Garden
2. The March
3. The Loving Kind
4. The Last Supper
5. Devil Man
6. Can You Hear Me?
7. The Only Way
8. Hard Heart
9. The Whipping
10. Higher
11. Take My Life
12. Alive and Well
13. Praise the King

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.