Monday, May 6, 2013

Walt Disney World Review: The American Adventure

Stars: 5 out of 5
Pros: Fun and moving tribute to America with great animatronics
Cons: None
The Bottom Line:
History alive
With animatronic magic
Must do Epcot stop

Disney's Tribute to the American Spirit is an Adventure Only They Can Do

My biggest regret about my trip to Disney World is short changing EPCOT.  There was just so much to see and do, I wound up spending less time there than I should have.  That caught up with me on Friday night.  With only one day left, I was desperately trying to get in all the attractions in the World Showcase part of the park.  That was my state of mind when I entered the theater for American Adventure.  I immediately fell in love and took the time to do it again the next day.

This show is housed in the World Showcase part of EPCOT.  The American portion is located in the center, so it is pretty much as far around the lake as you can get.  You really can't miss the building.  It's is a giant Colonial building made to look like something from Williamsburg or old Philadelphia.

Now learn from my mistake.  Get to the theater before show time.  No, I'm not saying this because of crowds.  Two different musical groups put on shows before performances.  Some days, it is Voices of Liberty, an a cappella choir.  Other days, it is Hometown Jamboree, a folk music band.  Check and see who is playing and try to show up in time to see them.  You can also take the time to look around the lobby of the building at the quotes from famous Americans, flags from our history, and other such exhibits.

But if you are like me and show up right at show time, not to worry.  The theater is huge.  I would imagine only on the most crowded days would you have any problem getting a seat for the very next show.

The show itself starts every 45 minutes and is a combination of movie and animatronics.  The movie is projected on a screen, while the animatronics rise out of the floor.  Honestly, the stage seems huge by the time they are done.

Our hosts for this trip back in time are Benjamin Franklin and Mark Twain.  What follows is a look at our history from the early settlers through the Revolutionary War and exploration to the Civil War and Women's Suffrage movement.

No, history is not sugar coated.  You get the good and the bad equally.  Yet, the show is also a tribute to the hard work, determination, and spirit that has made our country great.  I dare you to leave this show without pride in our country.

Helping that along is the beautiful score.  Recorded by the Philadelphia Symphony Orchestra, it combines patriotic songs with background music that brings out the emotions of each stop in history.

The show focuses on the time through the early 20th Century.  The time after that is represented in a montage of photos and videos highlighting more modern heroes.  And yes, they have updated it recently to include shots from September 11th.

The animatronics in the show are mostly impressive.  Maybe it's the increased distance compared to other attractions, but they aren't as obviously robotic.  Heck, one even climbs some stairs.  However, a few moments are obviously mechanical.  If you can't accept animatronics, don't bother.  (Then again, if you have a problem with animatronics, what are you doing at a Disney park anyway?  That's their bread and butter.)

As a Disney geek, I got excited during the Civil War segment.  They have a song about two brothers and with a series of pictures show what happens to this family divided by the ideals of the war.  The song and pictures used to be part of the Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln attraction at Disneyland, and I missed it when they took it out.  It moved me as a pre-teen, and it did so again as an adult.  I was glad to get to see it again.

Both times I watched this show, it ended much too soon.  If I am ever lucky enough to make it back to Disney World, I will allow ample time to watch American Adventure multiple times.  Considering how much Walt Disney loved his country, I am sure he would be proud of it.  I truly wish they had this show at Disneyland.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.