Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Walt Disney World Review: The Great Movie Ride

Stars: 3 out of 5

Pros: A few fun interacting movements, famous scenes from famous movies recreated
Cons: Some guides not up to the part; average animatronics
The Bottom Line:
Guides make difference
Not as good as expected
But worth doing once

The Average Movie Ride

Before I went to Disney World in 2008, I had a friend tell me that he always starts a day at Hollywood Studios with a trip through The Great Movie Ride to get himself in the mood for the day.  While I didn't quite do that (it was lunch time after all), I did make a point of riding the attraction early on my first day in the park.  Considering this is Disney, I enjoyed it but I wasn't blown away.
                          
This ride is easy to find.  As you walk into the park, just go straight past the giant Sorcerer's Hat that is the symbol of the park.  There, you'll find a replica of Mann's Chinese Theater from Los Angeles, complete with hand and foot prints in the cement out front.  And that's where the ride is located.

If the line is long, you'll wind through two rooms.  The first room has props from various movies.  I didn't get to spend much time there, but I did see one of the carousel horses from Mary Poppins and the fur coats the kids wore in the first Narnia movie.  The second room plays teasers for famous movies on a giant screen.  You'll see clips from Alien, Casablanca, Fantasia, and Raiders of the Lost Ark.  Honestly, they could use a few more clips.  I think I saw them about three times through before boarding the ride car.

When you leave that room, you are ushered onto a giant tram.  There are two cars hooked together, and each one seats roughly 40 people.  As you are boarding, your guide introduces him or herself and then you are off.

While never leaving the air conditioned building, you visit the sets of many famous movies covering most genres.  What surprised me is how few Disney movies are represented.  I haven't done the research, but I have a feeling this attraction, an original from opening day in 1989, is still highly influenced by the original MGM connection.  I bet that most of these movies are MGM properties.  Anyway, you do get to see a scene from Disney movies Mary Poppins and Fantasia as well as non-Disney Singin' in the Rain, Casablanca, Raiders of the Lost Ark, the original live action Tarzan and Alien.  (Getting the connection between the movie clips and the ride?)

Along the way, your guide points out exactly what it is you are seeing.  That is, until you run into some gangsters attempting to escape from the police.  One of the gangsters takes the guide's place, kidnapping all of you.  Fortunately, a trip through a Mummy's tomb provides a tad too much temptation for that gangster in the way of a cursed jewel.

The highlight of the ride is a trip through Munchkin Land from Wizard of Oz.  The guide interacts with the Wicket Witch of the West as she threatens you.

From there, you are treated to clips of famous movie scenes spanning the ages.  This is the only part of the ride to include any movie made in the last 20 years.

The whole thing takes around 20 minutes to complete.  It's a nice chance to sit down in air conditioning.

However, it isn't nearly as entertaining as it could be.

I am a fan of Disney's "dark rides."  These rides, usually located in Fantasyland, use animatronics to retell a story.  That's what I expected here.  After all, if you are going on a ride "through the movies" as they advertise, I really did expect a little more interaction.  Yes, there is the part with the gangster, but that's pretty much it.  Aside from that, you get to watch the robots move a little and hear a line or two form the movie.  Think a wax museum you are riding through instead of walking through.  Frankly, the animatronics weren't nearly as good as they could have been, too.  They looked less real than many of the other ones in Disney parks.  Again, I'll forgive a lot.  But this wasn't nearly as good as it could have been.

Your guide makes a big difference.  I did go on it twice during my week at Disney World.  The first time, my guide and gangster were definitely into it and it was fairly fun.  The second time, my guide was a wooden actor, and it sapped what little enjoyment there was out of the scenes where acting instead of line recitation was called for.

Despite all the complaints, I don't hate The Great Movie Ride.  I'd definitely go on it again if the line was short enough.  But I can't see spending more than 15 minutes in line for it ever again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.