Sunday, January 15, 2023

January 15th's Sunday/Monday Post

Time to kick off another week, and what better way to do that than with a Sunday/Monday post?  I'll be linking up to:

Sunday Post
Sunday Salon
Stacking the Shelves
Mailbox Monday
It's Monday, What Are You Reading?

Who has a three day weekend?  I don't.  This is one of the holidays that I consider a partial holiday.  I know schools and the government are shut down.  But I've never had it off since I got out of school.  I'm actually surprise, but the company I work for gives us President's Day off.  This is the first place I've worked where I get that off ever.

This month marks ten years since I started Carstairs Considers.  I've been reviewing much longer than that.  I started out at Amazon in 2001 and then migrated to another site in 2005.  When that site was looking like it was going to close soon, I started this blog and started by importing all my old reviews.  So if you look at 2013, you'll see I posted a LOT in the first six months.  That was the backlog.

I don't know the exact date I started the blog, and since I was playing around with stuff at the beginning, the dates on the posts don't necessarily mean anything.  But it was sometime this month, and I always like the mark the occasion.

In case you haven't heard, we got RAIN this week in California, especially here in Southern California.  I am so glad I still work from home since that meant I didn't have to drive in it.  No flooding around my place, although I have seen pictures of some flooding around my town.

Saturday morning, I ran a 5K over at my alma mater, which is across town from where I live.  It was sprinkling a bit and then raining lightly while we were running, but fortunately the worst of the rain coming on Saturday hadn't started yet.  They take us back in an area I didn't even know about when I was a student, but it was really beautiful this year with all the green thanks to the rain we've already had.  I did that instead of paddle boarding Saturday morning, not that I would have tried to paddle board in the rain anyway.

Then that afternoon was game day with my friends.  That was fun as always.

This Past Week on the Blog:


This Coming Week on the Blog:

Sunday - Sunday/Monday Post
Monday - Book Review: Oh Danny Girl by C. Michele Dorsey
Tuesday - Ornament Review: A World Within #8
Wednesday - Movie Review: Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness
Thursday - Book Review: Where the Guilty Hide by Annette Dashofy
Friday - Movie Review: Bad Boys II
Saturday - TV Show Review: L.A.'s Finest - Season 2

Book Haul:

Can you believe I only got two books for the second week in a row?  I know, it's shocking.  Since I read two books a week, that means I'm staying even instead of going backwards in my TBR pile.  I'll take it!


Both of the books were eARCs, both from the same publisher, and both for books coming out in February.  Up first is Wined and Died in New Orleans by Ellen Byron.  I always enjoy Ellen's books.  This is the second in her Vintage Cookbook Mysteries, and I'm looking forward to diving in and spending more time with the characters.

The other book is Six Sweets Under.  I've been wanting to read a book by Sarah Fox for a while, and I figured that the start of a new series was the perfect time to try her out.  I've seen lots of good things about her books, so hopefully, I'll enjoy it.

What I'm Reading:

As I type this, I'm just about 50 pages from the end of Dead-Bang Fall by J. R. Sanders.  I should be able to finish it up on Sunday.  This is the second in a series, and it features a PI in 1930's Hollywood.  It's a lot of fun, and there's plenty going on to keep me confused.

Once I finish that, I will be starting on February books (yes, already), which means I will be reading Wined and Died in New Orleans, which I am planning to review February 2nd.  Kind of crazy that I'm starting on February books already, isn't it?

Hope you have a great week.

32 comments:

  1. Happy blog anniversary. I started blogspot in 2007. Can't believe it's been that long.
    https://bookdilettante.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on 10 years!! What an accomplishment!! I always worked for the federal govenment, so I always got MLK day off. I also have an ARC for Six Sweets Under, and I hope it's a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear you were safe in the rains, we didn't have any issues either though there was a lot of flooding in Santa Barbara. Congratulations on your anniversary; I think it's great to acknowledge it as blogging is a lot of work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy blog anniversary! I am glad you were able to do the run and the rain wasn't worse. It's been coming down hard where I am all day today, with only the occasional break. I hope you enjoy your reading! We're already halfway through January so it's no surprise you are looking ahead to February already. I feel like I'm still playing catch up--not that I'm complaining. I hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey congrats on the blog anniversary. It's amazing to me how long I've been doing this, and I haven't been doing it nearly as long as you have.

    Have a nice weekend,.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on the blog anniversary! Wined and Died in New Orleans looks interesting. I hope you enjoy your books!

    My Sunday Post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Anniversary! I've only been blogging since June 2021 - a lockdown activity 😂 I've seen on the news here in the UK that there have been floods.

    I hope that you continue to remain flood free and have a good weekend and week ahead.

    Emily @ Budget Tales Book Blog
    My post:
    https://budgettalesblog.wordpress.com/2023/01/15/sunday-post-64/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations on your 10th blogoversary! This year marks my 15th year blogging. I plan to celebrate with...well, something! I think it would be fun to mark the anniversary with a giveaway of some sort.

    I'm glad you did not have problems with flooding. It's great that you are managing to stay on top of your TBR this week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Anniversary! Wow ten years is an accomplishment.
    Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Blogoversary! I started my blog in 2008 and I can't believe 15 years have gone by already. Time really does fly.

    I have those two cozies to review too. Both look good.

    Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I still feel like I am playing catch up, but I almost started a book yesterday and realize it is one of my reads for February, so not doing as bad as I thought, LOL. Then today I realized i haven't started the book that is due on the 20th of this month, sigh...Have a great week, so glad you didn't get the flooding!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy 10 years of Carstairs Considers!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations on your blogaversary! I enjoy reading your reviews. I had another blog and from that evolved the current one I started in July of last year. I started it in memory of my best friend, so I'll always remember the date of my first published post. Well done on your 5K as well! Have a great week! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Glad you managed to avoid the flooding since it seems like it was EVERYwhere. And, great restraint to just get 2 books. ;) I'm starting to read my February ARCs too....trying to keep ahead of the rush! Thanks for the visit.
    Terrie @ Bookshelf Journeys

    ReplyDelete
  15. Six Sweets Under looks really interesting. I don't read a lot of cozy mysteries, but covers with cats always catch my attention. Have a wonderful rest of your weekend. - Katie

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congratulaions on your blogoversary. 10 years went by in a snap, huh? California needed rain, just not as much as you got all at once. Egads.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy blogoversary! 10 years is a big milestone; you deserve to celebrate!

    I'm glad you haven't been too badly affected by the rain. The floods look really bad in some parts of your state.

    Enjoy your new books, and happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Happy 10 year blogaversary! That’s amazing Mark! California certainly looks like it’s been hit hard. I hope you enjoy your book and your long weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happy Blogaversary!
    Monday is one of the regular days I visit my mom (she's in memory care/assisted living) so that's my plan for the day. Your cozies look fun. Have a good week!
    Mary @Bookfan

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sounds like a fun week, despite the rain. Happy blog anniversary! I do have a 3-day weekend! Woo hoo!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Happy blog anniversary! I'm glad you are getting rain, but sad that it is coming all at once. I finished Wined and Died yesterday and enjoyed it. I am also reading my February review books. Come see my week here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  22. No three day weekend for me, but that's okay. There isn't as much traffic on the road today, and I enjoy working on those days better.

    Congratulations on 10 years of blogging. That's an accomplishment!

    Hope the rain stops soon. The weather is crazy. Have a nice week!

    https://thebookconnectionccm.blogspot.com/2023/01/its-monday-what-are-you-reading-and_01587465757.html

    ReplyDelete
  23. Happy blogiversary! I'm sorry you don't have a 3 day weekend--my husband's company only started recognizing MLK Day a few years ago, which is surprising. Hopefully the fact that this is a 3 day weekend for many will make this a lighter work day for you. Have a great week! - Melinda @ A Web of Stories

    ReplyDelete
  24. Happy blog anniversary! I'm so glad you don't have flooding. Hopefully it stops raining soon. When I was working I worked on an Army base so I got all government holidays off but my husband's company shuts down for basically nothing except for weirdly the week between Christmas and New Year's which is nice. Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Happy blogiversary! Mine is turning 10 this year too. I heard about the rain in California. The flooding sucks, but hopefully it fills up some of the lakes.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Happy blogiversary!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Six Sweets Under! You often have hilarious titles, enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  28. How many books did you bring with you on your trip? ;-)
    Here's my latest: http://www.lyndonperrywriter.com/2023/01/review-of-feast-of-fools-anthology.html

    ReplyDelete
  29. Congratulations on blogging for 10 years! Reading this made me go and see how long I've been doing this. It turns out my first post ever was September 5, 2011! My goal is to hit 1000 posts and then decide if want to retire from blogging. Happy reading this week. Hope the rain abates soon.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Happy Blogoversary! Ten years is a nice milestone.
    Glad you enjoyed the 5K without rain.
    I had to smile at your comment about Dead-Bang Fall when you say it kept you "confused". I think that is a fun endorsement.
    Have a good week and Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.