Thursday, May 25, 2023

Podcast Review: Guns, Knives, and Lipstick

Stars: 5 out of 5
Pros: Interesting talk about writing and author interviews
Cons: Nothing major from me
The Bottom Line:
An author podcast
That readers will enjoy, too
So listen today





Discussing Crime Writing

I’ve slowly started listening to more podcasts.  Not too many since I can’t keep up with most of the ones I listen to since I’m working from home and don’t have that drive to listen to them.  Still, there are several I am really enjoying, and one of those is Guns, Knives, and Lipstick.

This podcast is released once a month, and it features four women who write crime fiction, Liz Milliron, Mally Becker, Kerry Peresta, and C. L. Tolbert.

The podcast is nearing the end of its second year.  (I know, I know, I’ve been putting off this review for a while.  Although, in my defense, I didn’t start listening to it when it first premiered.)  In season 1, the four authors tackled a different subject each month from characters to plot to building suspense to sustaining a series.  Typically, it was the four of them chatting about the topic, although they did bring in a guest to help them with the topic a couple of times.

This last year, they switched things up, and each month the four of them interview an author about their books, their writing process, and anything else that comes up.  These conversations can be free flowing at times, but they are always fun and fascinating.

I don’t know if there are any plans to switch up the format again for the third season, but either way, I’ve enjoying listening to the episodes.  Even though I’m a reader, not an author, I still found myself thinking about what they shared in season 1 and analyzing the books I read a little differently as a result.  Season two has found me adding more books to my to be read mountain range.  I haven’t gotten to any of them yet, but I really want to.

They only release one episode a month, so this won’t stack up on you too quickly, and if you start listening to the archives, you’ll catch up before you know it.

If you are looking for a new podcast on writing, I recommend you give Guns, Knives, and Lipstick a try.

4 comments:

  1. This sounds like a great podcast! Like you, I find it tough to keep up with the episodes, but do love a good one when I get around to them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've stopped listening to podcasts regularly because I'm normally listening to audiobooks but this does sound good! I really like that there's only one episode a month because I get behind so quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the review, Mark! Glad you like the new format. We don't have plans to change it up for season 3.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love me a good podcast. I listen to many - mostly True Crime lately but this one sounds awesome too! Thanks for the rec!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.