Friday, May 17, 2013

Book Beginnings and Friday 56 for May 17th

It's Friday!  And that also means it is time for Book Beginnings and Friday 56.

This week, I finished one book and I've started another, so I'm going to feature them both.

Up first is Spy Camp, a middle grade book by Stuart Gibbs.  I'll post my full review Sunday night for Marvelous Middle Grade Monday, but for now let's just say I loved it.  And here's why.  The first sentence reads:

On the very last day of spy school, my plans for a normal, uneventful summer were completely derailed by the delivery of two letters.

Moving ahead of page 56, we find:

But at the academy, where a pop quiz in self-preservation meant a surprise ninja attack, there was an unusually high amount of stress.

Now really, how can you not love that book?

Now I'm working on The Homicide Hustle, the third in a cozy mystery series centered around ballroom dance studio.  Here's how it starts:

If Nigel told me one more time to manufacture a wardrobe malfunction for the show's first night of live competition, I was going to slap him.

And on page 56, we get:

She was about my height - five foot six - and her sleeveless sheath revealed toned arms, but I figured I could take her.

So far I'm enjoying this book as well, but I'm not too far beyond this point in the story.

8 comments:

  1. Both sounds great. The first sounds like so much fun and the second sounds very intriguing. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first was definitely fun, and the second is a good mystery.

      Delete
  2. How could anyone stop reading after that first sentence? I've GOT to know what those two letters said and how they derailed the summer. The opening of The Homicide Hustle grabbed me too. Sounds like it would be a funny book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was exactly how I felt when I started the book. The second is quite funny, but it certainly has its moments.

      Delete
  3. Spy Camp sound like a lot of fun.

    Thanks for posting on Book Beginnings!

    Rose City Reader

    ReplyDelete
  4. Spy Camp really sounds wonderful.. I am going to check it out..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should. It and the first in the series are lots of fun.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.