Friday, May 17, 2013

Ornament Review: A New Little One! - 2009 Hallmark Ornament

Stars: 5 out of 5
Pros: Cute way to mark a big event
Cons: None
The Bottom Line:
A great way to mark
Big changes and a new life
Everyone will love




Snow Cute

I became an uncle for the first time summer of 2009, and as Christmas rolled around, I started thinking about getting an ornament for my brother and his family to mark the occasion.  I looked at Hallmark several times, but never did see one I liked.  Which was fortunate because our parents had the same idea, and they managed to find A New Little One!  If I had spotted it on my own, my brother would have gotten two of them.

The ornament features a family of snowmen.  The Mommy and Daddy are standing side by side.  Daddy has his arms around his wife.  He's decked out in a top hat and a blue scarf.  Mommy has on a pink knit cap and pink scarf.  And if her arms, she is holding the cutest baby snowman you ever saw.

Baby is asleep with a smile on his or her face, content in its mother's arms.  Now, you may have noticed how gender neutral I am being here.  Like its parents, the baby is wearing a scarf and hat.  Both of them are green, meaning you can give this ornament to any new parent this year.

What makes this ornament so cute is the scene it creates.  The parents are looking at their new baby with obvious pride and love.  The baby is content in its mother's arms.  You can't help but smile as you look at it.

The ornament does indicate the year in two places.  The first is on the bottom with the copyright information.  The more prominent place is on the baby snowman's hat.  So this will only work for babies born this year.

All three of the snowmen are covered in a fake glittery substance.  If you handle it with sweaty hands, you'll notice a flake or two sticking to you.  It adds a very subtle sparkle to the ornament when the light catches it, but it's not enough to be distracting when you aren't looking directly at it.

Here's what is interesting about the ornament.  Both parents are flat on the bottom, allowing the ornament to sit if you want to display it.  Additionally, there is a brass ring to hang it from a tree.  The ring is located on the side of the daddy's cap.  When you first pick up the ornament, it tips slightly to the father's side.  Yet either sitting or hanging, it really does look like it is straight.

Okay, so I'm disappointed I wasn't the one to find and give this ornament in honor of my new niece.  But I'm glad someone in my family did.  A New Little One! is a cute addition to a Christmas ornament collection celebrating a new life.

Original Price: $12.50

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.