Friday, July 24, 2015

July 24th's Book Beginnings and Friday 56

Just home from another ultimate Frisbee loss.  My summer league team just can't seem to hold it together for an entire game.  But I'm putting that behind me.  And why is that?  Because it's time for Book Beginnings and Friday 56!!!

This week, I'm featuring a book that I finished today - Killer Jam by Karen MacInerney.



The book's official release date is Tuesday, and I'll have my review of it posted then.  I was fortunate enough to get an eARC, so I've already enjoyed it.

And the book begins like this:

I've always heard it's no use crying over spilled milk.  But after three days of attempting to milk Blossom the cow (formerly Heifer #82), only to have her deliver a well-timed kick that deposited the entire contents of my bucket on the stall floor, it was hard not to feel a few tears of frustration forming in the corners of my eyes.

Since I was reading an eBook, I'll skip ahead to 56% in the book, where we find this:

I didn't argue, but foreboding filled me as I sliced another piece of buttermilk pie for a new order.

And there you have it.  Have a wonderful weekend.  I'll be busy tomorrow with a mud run and a play.  Fortunately, I'll have a few hours to kill, so I can get some reading in my new book done in between.

8 comments:

  1. That title made me snicker:) I do love cozies and this sounds good. Have fun on your mud run.

    Here's my 56 - http://fuonlyknew.com/2015/07/24/the-friday-56-70-fudging-the-books-by-daryl-wood-gerber/

    ReplyDelete
  2. The title sounds like a band. LOL Who can resist a cozy? Hope you have a great weekend.
    sherry @ fundinmental Friday Memes

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've read the first couple in this series and have enjoyed them. Can't wait to see what you think of this newest one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the opening! I imagine that's what would happen to me if I tried to milk a cow.
    My Friday post features The Collected Stories of Eudora Welty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A culinary mystery... death by jam! LOL Sounds fun!
    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That opening is great. Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.