Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Ornament Review: Friend of a Feather - 2015 Hallmark Ornament



Stars: 5 out of 5
Pros: Cute scene inside a traditional ornament shape
Cons: None
The Bottom Line:
This scene inside a
Traditional ornament
Delights with cuteness




Warm Winter Scene Inside a Christmas Ornament

Even in the few years I’ve been collecting Hallmark ornaments, I’ve picked up on the fact that some series begin as single ornaments.  That’s the case with Friend of a Feather, the Keepsake Ornament Club ornament released in 2015 that is a precursor to a 3 ornament members only series to start next year.  I was already leaning toward getting this ornament, but as soon as I heard it’s part of a series, I just had to get it.  (Really, I need to get over my addiction to series.)

The ornament is light blue and is a mainly an oval with a few nobs on the top and bottom.  It reminds me of the old fashioned ornaments that were just shapes of various colors.  The twist with this one is the scene in the middle.  It features a snowman in a red scarf with his right arm raised.  On that arm is a little red bird.  Behind them are some trees decked in white snow.

And it’s the scene inside that I just love.  It’s cute and heartwarming even if the snow makes it look cold.  The light blue color of the ornament perfectly captures that wintery feel the scene is trying to capture, and it’s a wonderful combination.  The smattering of light blue glitter on the top of the ornament catches the light and adds to the charm without over powering anything.

The coming three part series, entitled Inside Story, will feature more scenes inside ornament shapes.  I love the idea, so I can’t wait to see what they come up with.  It reminds me of the popular Cookie Cutter Christmas series, which I also love.  There’s even a new mini ornament series, A World Within, debuting this year with a very similar theme I am going to have to resist starting.  (I do not collect mini ornaments.  I do not collect mini ornaments….) However, since this is not part of any official series, there is no series marker on the back of the ornament.

Good luck getting this ornament to stand up.  It comes to a nice point on the bottom, so the only way to display it is by hanging it.  Fortunately, when you slip a hook in the loop on top, you’ll find that it hangs straight.

I haven’t seen any sneak peaks at what the new series will be like, but if they are all as cute as Friend of a Feather, it will be a winning series.  Even if I decide not to start the official series (but who are we kidding, of course I will), I’m glad I added this cute ornament to my collection.

Like this ornament?  You'll be interested in the official Inside Story ornament series.

Original Price: $20.00

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.