Monday, July 27, 2015

Ornament Review: A Little Crab Cake - Keepsake Cupcake #1 - 2015 Hallmark Ornament



Stars: 5 out of 5
Pros: Beautiful looking cupcake perfect for beach season
Cons: None
The Bottom Line:
Crab introduces
Delicious and cute series
You’ll want to collect




You’ll Be Crabby if You Don’t Start the Keepsake Cupcake Series

Why did it have to be cupcakes?  After two years of collecting Hallmark’s monthly series, I was ready for them to come up with a property I wasn’t that interested in collecting.  For one thing, I am fast running out of space for displaying things.  Yet when I saw the 2015 – 2016 monthly series, Keepsake Cupcakes, I knew I had to collect it.  The series starts with a winner – A Little Crab Cake.

Like the previous two years, the series is starting with a beach theme.  The cupcake itself is vanilla, with just a hint peeking out of the blue cupcake foil.  The blue frosting swirled on top is just a shade lighter than the foil and is made to look like waves with a little starfish and a shell attached to it.  But sticking out of the top is the red crab that gives the ornament its name.

Now I’ve been collecting and enjoying the Christmas Cupcake series Hallmark has done for the last few years.  That series is made mostly from felt.  Here, we are back to plastic.  It’s a minor detail mainly worth noting only in passing.

That’s because this ornament is so cute!  The vanilla cupcake looks just like sand, and the blue they used is a pretty color for the waves.  The result is warm and friendly and makes me want to head out to the beach.

Because it is a cupcake, it should be no surprise that the ornament has a flat bottom.  That’s perfect because I intend to keep this collection in the Bakery Display that Hallmark sold as a compliment to the series.  If you do want to hang it, you’ll find a hook coming out of the crab’s head.  The ornament does hang ever so slightly forward, but not enough you’ll notice unless you are looking for it.  You’ll find the series marker on the bottom of the ornament.

A Little Crab Cake gets this new series off to a wonderful start, and the rest of the series is pretty much this adorable as well.  I didn’t take long to cave on this series, and I will be glad I bought them.

Be sure to check out the rest of the Keepsake Cupcakes series.

Original Price: $12.95

3 comments:

  1. You are so right...this is a great start to a new series!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still pulling for a Barbie series for you, however. ;)

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.