Friday, December 16, 2022

December 16th's Friday Post

We made it to Friday!  It's payday for me, which is extra nice.  Let's kick the day off with a Friday post.  As usual, I'm linking up to:

Book Beginnings
First Line Friday
Friday 56
Book Blogger Hop

I'll be kicking things off with teasers from Slay Ride by Diane Vallere.  This is the ninth entry in her Samantha Kidd mysteries.


Quite obviously, it is Christmas themed.  And it is a bit shorter than a typical book in the series.  It is billed as a novella, and it seems a bit too long for that, but it's definitely on the shorter side.  Not that labels really matter, right?

Anyway, Samantha is a former fashion buyer who seems to find lots of mystery and mayhem as her career jumps around from one fashion related thing to another.  You're getting the fashion theme, right?  Because that is critical to see the humor in the teasers I'm sharing.

Here's how the book kicks off:

For the first time in my life, I was wearing the wrong outfit.

Now, don't misunderstand, Samantha is not snobbish.  But anyone who knows the series will immediately smile from that opening line.

I'm sharing a bit more for the Friday 56.  It really helps set up the joke.  Samantha is thinking about how her past involvements in mysteries didn't lend themselves to social media posts:

In the three years that I’d been back in Pennsylvania, my life hadn’t exactly been worthy of updates. I’d gotten involved in one criminal investigation after another, and nothing about that felt like cause for a post. Did people want to know that I found my boss dead in an elevator? That I helped bust open a knockoff ring or helped catch an arsonist?

Sure, that all sounded good, but it was only half of the story. I’d been knocked out, shot at, beaten up, chased, threatened, and forced to wear sweatpants.

The horror!  Wearing sweat pants!!  (Types the guy wearing sweat pants right now.)

Obviously, this story is a lot of fun.  I'll be sharing a review on Tuesday (assuming I get it written), so I hope you'll come back then for my full thoughts on the book.

Now, let's turn to the Book Blogger Hop.  This week's question is:

Which time of day do you prefer to read: morning, afternoon, or evening?

I think afternoon.  When I have time to read on my own (holidays, weekends, etc.), that's the time I typically read.  Of course, I read on my breaks and lunch on work days.

Have a relaxing weekend!

14 comments:

  1. That 56 quote is hilarious!! I love sweatpants too, but I know many women who don't!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clever play on words for the title. The book seems to have a lot of potential. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My first line comes from All the Lost Places by Amanda Dykes, which I just finished.
    Prologue
    Once upon the dawn of time, there was water. Before there were stars, before the Maker set life into earth, breath into lungs, beast ir man to roam…there was water. Dark and reaching, stirred not by wind but by the spirit of the Almighty himself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds so good. I've read (and loved) Vallere's sci-fi cozies but haven't had the chance to start this series yet. Hope you have a great weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know this series at all, but that humor will draw me in for sure. Thanks for sharing this novella (kind of!) and the rest of the series - will take a closer look!

    Elza Reads

    ReplyDelete
  6. Romances and cozies sure come up with the cleverest titles! So glad you're enjoying the series. Happy Reading.
    Terrie @ Bookshelf Journeys

    ReplyDelete
  7. This series sounds so cute. I have it on my TBR and eventually I will get to it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a LOL read! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It sounds like a fun read! I love humor in the books I read. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That does sound like a fun book! I love the title. Mornings are my preference for reading. Have a great weekend! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is one Vallere series I haven't read but it sounds great! I love the teasers. I'm a nighttime reader but that's just because that's the way things work out. I love the idea of reading in the afternoon or even in the morning but am not great about fitting that in.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I prefer to read at night, but I'll read any time of day! I'm reading The Veteran's Holiday Home by Lee Tobin McClain. The first line is: Principal Ashley Green looked at the redheaded, freckle-faced eleven-year-old in front of her and tried to maintain a stern expression." Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.