Monday, December 5, 2022

Ornament Review: Up and Away - 2022 Hallmark Release

Stars: 5 out of 5
Pros: Fun ornament that anyone with a love of Disney parks will enjoy
Cons: Some might not like the tilt, but I love it!
The Bottom Line:
Mickey and Dumbo
Sure to bring warm memories
Classic attraction



Mickey Takes a Spin on Dumbo the Flying Elephant

Hallmark has released several ornaments over the years that feature Mickey in an iconic ride vehicle from a classic Disney parks attraction.  They’ve released another one this year with Up and Away.

This time, Mickey is riding on Dumbo the Flying Elephant.  And yes, I am completely sure this is the attraction and not the character.  How do I know?  On Mickey’s right, we can see the opening to allow you in and out of the car.  That’s the easiest way, but the rest of Dumbo looks more like the attraction than the character, too.  Mickey’s holding on with both hands and he’s got a smile on his face as he enjoys the ride.

You can set the ornament out to be displayed.  If you do that, it sits flat, and Mickey looks like he is cruising.

However, it’s more fun if you go to hang it.  There’s a tilt to the ornament that makes Mickey look like he is really taking off.  No, Dumbo doesn’t tilt like that on the attraction.  In fact, he stays level the entire time.  But this is much more fanciful and fun.  Plus, it fits in with the name of the ornament.  I’m not sure if this was on purpose or if it was just the only place to put the ring for hanging the ornament.  But I don’t care.  I might normally knock something off for an ornament with a tilt like this, but in this case, it is just plain fun.  I love it just the way it is.

And yes, I do love this ornament.  While Dumbo isn’t a must do every time I’m in the park any more, it’s mainly because of the line.  I still have a nostalgic place in my heart for the ride with some great memories on it.  This ornament reminds me of those memories.

If you have great memories of the Dumbo attraction as well, you’ll be happy you snatched Up and Away.

2 comments:

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.