Sunday, December 18, 2022

December 18th's Sunday/Monday Post

Hi everyone.  Time to kick off another week with another Sunday/Monday post, where I will be linking up to:

Sunday Post
Sunday Salon
Stacking the Shelves
Mailbox Monday
It's Monday, What Are You Reading?

Phew!  I made my deadlines at work!  Somehow, I got my accounts reconciliations that were due this month done by the deadline, which was Wednesday.  Normally, we'd have a couple more days, but they shorten it at quarter end.  Makes perfect sense, right?  We start on them later, so we have less time to do them.  The deadline was Wednesday, and I got my last ones done that day.  I usually like to get them done earlier than that, but just didn't have time.  Also finished the ones that weren't due this month, so now I can start on other reports on Monday.

Other than that, not too much to report.  I've wrapped all the Christmas presents I can, finished that up today while rewatching The Santa Clause.  I think I love that movie a little more every year.  I've had to reorder the present for my sister-in-law.  Hopefully it ships and it arrives by Christmas.  I'm having it shipped to my parents' house, so if it runs late, I still have it to give to her or she will get it within a few days of it arriving since she and my parents live in the same town.

I didn't go paddling Saturday morning.  It's been cold (for So Cal) all week, and it was supposed to be windy.  It didn't seem that windy to me, but that was the forecast.  It's supposed to hit 60 on Sunday and be sunny with little wind, so my friend and I are planning to go after church in the morning.

This Past Week on the Blog:



This Coming Week on the Blog:


Sunday - Book Review: Stellarlune by Shannon Messenger
Monday - TV Show Review: The Santa Clauses - Season 1
Tuesday - Book Review: Slay Ride by Diane Vallere
Wednesday - Ornament Review: Storytime Snuggles
Thursday - Book Review: Dashing Through the Snowbirds by Donna Andrews
Friday - Friday Post featuring Rum and Choke
Saturday - Weekly TV Thoughts

Book Haul:

It's another 5 book week around here.  I need to find a way to read faster because I really do want to read all these books I get, even though I get more books than I read in a given week.

Up first, my preorder of On Spine of Death by Tamara Berry finally arrived.  I had to contact Barnes and Nobel and get them to resend it to me since the first got lost somewhere along the way.  They made me wait longer than I thought I should have to wait, but once we hit that deadline, they sent a new one right out to me.  And I can see their point - they wanted to make sure the first was really lost.

Then I snagged a couple of Kindle sales, both for books I've been eyeing.  The first was Peg and Rose Solve a Murder by Laurien Berenson.  I've actually been eyeing her books for years but never picked one up.  But the first in a series on sale?  Can't pass that up.

Likewise with Lowcountry Boil by Susan Boyer.  I feel like I may have a physical copy around here somewhere, but I couldn't find it.  And it was on sale for 99 cents.  Even if I have it, that's a good price to get a second copy, right?

Then I got approved for two Netgalley ARCs this week.  I learned that Anastasia Hastings is the newest pen name for Kylie Logan (which I know is also a pen name, but that's the name I know her best as).  Since I love her books, I knew I had to get a copy of Of Manners and Murder.  I'd been eyeing the book already since the Victorian England setting sounded fun.

While I was at it, I requested and got the ARC of All That is Hidden, next year's Molly Murphy Mystery from Rhys Bowen and Clare Broyles.  Both of these two books are from St. Martin's Press, so as long as I was requesting one, I figured I'd request the other.  I've been reading the Molly Murphy series, set in the 1900's New York City, since the first came out, so I'm looking forward to her latest.

What I'm Currently Reading:

I'm working on my last book for the year - Rum and Choke by Sherry Harris.  Of course, I haven't cracked it opened yet on Saturday, and Sunday is looking busy.  My original plan was to finish it up on Sunday, but I'm thinking it might be Monday.  After all, I have more Christmas specials and movies to watch before I leave to see my family for Christmas.  Anyone, I made good progress on in Friday, and I'm enjoying it so far.

So, either Monday or Tuesday, I will be starting Fatal Fascinator by Jenn McKinlay.  This will be book seven in her Hat Shop Mysteries.  It is releasing on January 3rd, so if I'm going to have my review ready to go, I need to start on it now.  Here's a secret, I count books for reading challenges by when I post the review.  I figure that it turns out to be a wash.  I was two or three books into my 2022 reading when we actually hit January 1st of this year, and I'll be the same next year.  Just don't tell anyone, okay?

And that's a wrap.  Have a Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, or whatever you celebrate this month.

21 comments:

  1. You sure are a diligent reader, as well as a conscientious worker! Have a great holiday week!

    best mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shhh, don't tell anyone, but I do the same thing. I like to start my reading year off with a bang.

    It's so frustrating to me when I have a huge stack of wonderful books in front of me. We can all just read so fast.

    Hope you get to go paddling!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you got your accounts settled. I got On Manners and Murder from Netgalley too, it does sound good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are some amusing titles coming up on your blog this week! I'm glad I'm not the only one who wishes I could read faster. I read slower than most people I know. On average it takes me one week to finish a cozy mystery and that's if I REALLY focus and I have no other unexpected distractions. I only became an avid reader a little more than a year ago, so I have a ton of catching up to do on all the books I want to read. Have a great week! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope you enjoy those ARCs - it's always fun to get one but then I feel pressure to get it read before the publication date. I need to slow down my requests! :) I like Christmas movies too and haven't taken time to watch any this year. Sigh.
    Happy Holidays!
    Terrie @ Bookshelf Journeys
    https://www.bookshelfjourneys.com/post/sunday-post-29

    ReplyDelete
  6. This year I think we've ordered online more than ever so packages arriving on time is definitely a concern! And work definitely sounds stressful! Hope you have a great week and a nice holiday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay for getting the deadlines met though the shortening the time doesn't seem to make a huge amount of sense! It hit 40 here today and I've decided I'm not going outside until it gets above 60. Fingers crossed on the package but at least it's going to your parents in the same town as your sister so that takes the pressure off. I've got a few things down to the wire too! Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Must be a relief to meet all those deadlines and you are well organised with the presents. Lots of great looking cozy books Mark. Enjoy them and Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So glad you met your deadlines and wrapped some gifts. We just decorated yesterday. I am so far behind this year. Your book haul sounds great.

    Hope you have a wonderful Christmas.

    https://thebookconnectionccm.blogspot.com/2022/12/its-monday-what-are-you-reading-and_19.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lowcountry Boil was a fun read.
    Mary @Bookfan

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's always a relief when work gets done by the deadline. I hope you have a great Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm always getting more books in a week then I can actually read. I have to start reading faster. I didn't realize Kylie Logan had another pen name. I usually like her books. I'll have to check it out. Hope you have a great week and Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I got Of Manners and Murder too. I didn't know that Anastasia Hastings and Kylie Logan were the same person. Other than switching the calendar, I don't make a big deal of starting anew in the new year. Books I'm reading now will show up on my blog in 2023 just because I try to stay at least 2 weeks ahead. I know what you mean about getting more books than you have time to read. I have about 9 years of books to read on my TBR pile even if I don't add another book. Come see my week here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fatal Fascinator is an excellent title! I am currently reading a Christmas themed cozy mystery and enjoying it. Have a great week, merry Christmas and happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice that you made all of your deadlines. That has to be a relief. Nice book haul! I really need to read that Jenn McKinlay series.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I’m about 15 books short of my goal for this year so they will all need to count for me if I’m going to make it!

    Wishing you a great reading week, and a joyous Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Bet if feels good to finish by your deadlines. I like the looks of Of Manners and Murder. Have a Blessed Christmas and Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great burst of productivity! Have a great holiday

    ReplyDelete
  19. You're reading a book called Fatal Fascinator! Whenever I hear that word I think of 2 things: my daughter's competition dance days and Princess Eugenia and Beatrice who always seem to wear outrageous hats/fascinators. Have a wonderful holiday

    ReplyDelete
  20. We haven't watched many Christmas movies this year for some reason but I have been all about the holiday baking shows! The Great British Baking Show holiday episodes and two seasons of Sugar Rush Christmas. Luckily my husband loves foodie shows so he's been on board.

    I've shipped all my presents to my parents' house too and they all arrived this week. Their poor delivery drivers must not know what's happened--my parents rarely order anything online!

    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.