Saturday, May 18, 2013

Movie Review: The Blind Side

Stars: 5 out of 5
Pros: Great acting draws you into an emotionally satisfying and uplifting movie
Cons: Absolutely none
The Bottom Line:
You will cheer and laugh
And be inspired for good
All in two hours




Moving, Inspiration Movie.  Why Didn't I See it Sooner?

The only reason The Blind Side was really even on my radar was my roommate.  He's a big football fan (and that's an understatement), so he was naturally interested.  I decided it sounded good, but we just never got around to seeing it.  He saw it over Christmas, and I still was dragging my heels.  Finally, I went to see it tonight.  I should have gone weeks ago.

Inspired by a true story, the movie focuses on Michael Oher (Quinton Aaron).  Michael is a black high schooler living on the wrong side of Memphis.  He manages to get into a private Christians school on the good side of town, but his grades are so poor he might not be able to stay.  And he has no home life - in fact, he's homeless.

While attending the school, Michael catches the attention of the white Tuohy family.  As they observe him for a couple of months, they are drawn to him.  Finally, one night near Thanksgiving, Leigh Anne (Sandra Bullock) invites him to spend the night.  As one night turns into more, the unlikely family grows closer together.  Will the Tuohy's be able to give Michael a chance at something great?  How will Michael change the family?

Not being a football fan myself, I don't know much about the real Michael Oher.  Even so, I knew where the story was going right from the start.  I mean, really, have you ever seen an inspired by a true story movie that ended sadly?  I didn't think so.

But does that mean I was bored?  Not on your life.  Michael is established as a likable and sympathetic young man right from the start.  And the Tuohys were nice as well.  Because of this, I was pulled into the story and wanted to see how things would turn out.

From the little I did know, I wasn't sure how much I would like Leigh Anne.  Sometimes, headstrong characters work, and something they annoy me.  Here, it worked beautifully.  Yes, Leigh Anne is stubborn, but she's the kind of woman I'd want on my side.  She's tough and loyal, always doing what she thinks is best for those she loves.  A couple of times she acts without thinking, but then again, who doesn't?

Michael also shows that loyalty to those he cares about.  Frankly, the movie does a good job of developing his character.  When it starts out, we aren't sure how smart he really is.  As it progresses, it shows us the how and the why of his learning problems.  No, he isn't stupid, but learning doesn't come easily to him.

The movie is pretty much the story of Michael and Leigh Anne.  The rest of the family is certainly present, and we see how they change for the better as a result of Michael entering the family.  But they aren't the main focus.

The acting is superb.  I've got to admit, Sandra Bullock's accent doesn't seem quite right to me, but I can't quite place why.  That is my only complaint with the acting.  The movie calls for some tender moments, intense moments, and some comedy mixed in as well.  And the cast pulls it off.  Tim McGraw plays Sean Tuohy.  I've never associated him with his acting, but he plays this part perfectly.  The actors who play the two Tuohy kids are also great, especially Jae Head who steals many scenes as S.J.  And of course Quinton Aaron is outstanding as Michael.  He nailed the character and the changes he goes through.

I was actually surprised at the amount of comedy in the film.  Yes, it's a drama.  But there are quite a few scenes that had me and the audience I saw it with laughing.

Ultimately, it is a drama about the power we can have on those around us for good.  I was moved so many times watching it.  It's the kind of movie that makes you stop and think about who you might be overlooking that you can help in your own life.  And that's always a good thing.

My only real gripe is that I didn't go see this movie as soon as it came out.  The Blind Side is a great reminder that we are called to help all those around us, and will leave you with a smile on your face.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.