Friday, December 19, 2014

December 19th's Book Beginnings and Friday 56

Less than a week until Christmas.  Are you ready?  I'm working on wrapping presents myself.  But I'm taking a break for this week's Book Beginnings and Friday 56.

This week, I'm working on Everblaze, the third in the Keeper of the Lost Cities middle grade fantasy series by Shannon Messenger.



I know, breaking out of the cozies I've been reading almost two months.  It's nice to be reading something different for a change.  I love my cozies, but I need a break over so often, and this series is always fun that way.

It gets off to a great start, too, with a great first line:

"What are you waiting for?" Keefe shouted over the howling wind and the roaring sea.  "Don't tell me the great Sophie Foster is afraid."

Page 56 finds the same two characters and this line from Keefe:

Keefe groaned as he sat up, rubbing his left shoulder.  "I think we need to work on your landings, Foster."

Keefe is always good for a quote, obviously.

Since I won't see you before, have a Merry Christmas.  And in case I don't get away from time with family to play next week (which is a very real possibility), Happy New Year as well.

18 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great book for middle-graders. Enjoy your holidays with your family.
    My Friday post features VIDAL’S HONOR.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Middle graders and beyond. I've really enjoyed the series.

      Delete
  2. I've never heard of this series but it sounds like a lot of fun! Both the BB and the F56 are really good quotes and I want to know more about Sophie Foster now. I guess I've got a new addition to the TBR Mountain of Doom! Thanks for sharing :) have a good weekend!
    My Friday post
    Juli @ Universe in Words

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TBR Mountain of Doom. I like it! I usually refer to mine as the TBR Mountain Range.

      Delete
  3. This sounds fun! I'm kind of tired of cozies and holiday reads and a middle grade adventure sounds refreshing. Love the 56.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's one reason my recent (last couple of years) interest in middle grade books hasn't bothered me at all. It's nice to mix up genres every so often so the formula doesn't wear on you as much.

      Delete
  4. Sounds cute. Great cover.

    ENJOY, and Merry Christmas!!

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Book Beginnings

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've heard of the series but haven't read any yet. It does look good though!
    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds awesome and I'm adding it to my tbr!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The cover drew my attention, but I'm not sure I'd follow up on reading this book. But it's always nice to have a new author (to me) to investigate :-) Thanks, and have a great Christmas, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand about having too many books to read, but I do hope you wind up giving this series a try.

      Delete
  8. Enjoyed your 56. Have a good Christmas, a merry one.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.