Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Movie Review: The Santa Clause 2


Stars: 4 out of 5
Pros: Cast brings a fun story to life
Cons: Robot Santa
The Bottom Line:
More holiday cheer
Not quite as good as the first
But still really fun




Santa Has to Get Married?

1994 brought the holiday hit The Santa Clause. It immediately became one of my favorite Christmas movies that I make sure to watch every year. When The Santa Clause 2 was released in 2002, I rushed out to see it. While it's not as good as the original, I had forgotten just how good it was until I saw it again recently.

Scott Calvin (Tim Allen) has settled into his new role as Santa Claus. In fact, he loves it. And kids the world over have never been happier.

Unfortunately, this Christmas Scott's hit a couple snags. First, his son Charlie (Eric Lloyd) is acting up. In fact, after he's caught spray painting the school, he winds up on Santa's naughty list.

Even more pressing, elf Curtis (Spencer Breslin) has discovered another clause. It seems Santa needs a Mrs. Claus or he will stop being Santa. In fact, he's already loosing weight and returning to his original form. If he isn't married by Christmas, he'll cease being Santa forever.

Naturally, the month before Christmas is the busiest time of the year for Santa and the elves. So he leaves behind a robot duplicate of himself and heads to his ex-wife's house. He hopes to reconnect with Charlie and find someone willing to marry him. So why is the first person to catch his eye the Christmas hating principal of Charlie's school (Elizabeth Mitchell)? Will it work, or is Scott doomed to cease being Santa forever?

Now I'll freely admit this movie doesn't capture the charm of the original. But it is still a fun movie.

One of my favorite things about it is the returning cast. Everyone who had a major part in the first one is back. I must admit I didn't recognize Eric Lloyd at all. He certainly grew up in the eight years between movies. They all fall right back into character and do a great job bringing the story to life.

There are several major actors that are new. Spencer Breslin is great as the by the books elf who discovers the Mrs. Clause. Elizabeth Mitchell is excellent as the principal who catches Scott's eye. While her transformation from cold hearted to believing in Santa again is fast, she makes it believable. Finally, Liliana Mumy steals the show as Scott's ex-wife's little girl. She's absolutely adorable and greatly adds to the cute factor.

The story itself is fun. We get to meet other legendary characters like Mother Nature and the Tooth Fairy. The different storylines are balanced well and create for some light suspense. Granted, we mostly know how the movie will end. It's just the details that need to be worked out. The climax is funny and sweet.

And the special effects are wonderful. There are several times that Santa gains or loses weight right before our eyes. Part of the climax takes place in the air.

My biggest problem with this movie involves the Robot Santa left back at the North Pole. He becomes a by the rule character who accepts nothing less then perfection. I found the character irritating and not as funny as I'm sure he was supposed to be.

I discovered while rewatching the movie this year that that's a minor complaint over all. The Santa Clause 2 is just a step down from the original. It's not a must watch, but if I have the time I plan to enjoy it every year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.