Thursday, March 21, 2013

Music Review: All Things New by Steven Curtis Chapman

Stars: 5 out of 5
Pros: New sounds to familiar themes
Cons: None for this fan
The Bottom Line:
Some new music sounds
Lyrics and themes familiar
His fans will love it




Steven Curtis Chapman Shows He Has a Few New Tricks Up His Sleeve

I've been a Steven Curtis Chapman fan since I first discovered his music in the early 90's with For the Sake of the Call. Since then, I have eagerly awaited each new release, and I continue to be rewarded. All Things New is no exception.

For this release, Steven decided to go in some new directions. He's got an edgier, rockier feel to many of the songs here. But the surprise that hit me right off the bat was the piano. Though out his career, Steven has been known for his guitar playing, and it's still in evidence here. But this time around, he decided to write several songs for piano. It's a beautiful change and sometime I hope he continues on future releases.

The disc opens with the title track. Once we get past the piano solo intro, it unfolds into a piano based rocker that celebrates the rebirth that God provides for the entire world.

A couple of the songs are a little over produced. We've got the almost hip hop "Only Getting Started" about praising God for eternity. I like the song, but it's little too busy for my tastes. The same can be said of "Coming Attractions." This one starts quiet but turns into a rocker with the chorus that Steven comes close to screaming out.

Many of the songs are the normal pop/rock blend that have made Steven so popular for so long. There's the praise song "Much of You." "Please Only You" also falls into this category. I like this last song because it is so true of me. Every time I hear it, I am reminded to refocus my mind on pleasing only Him. Both of these songs also feature the guitar as the main instrument. They really are typical Steven Curtis Chapman.

But there is more of that piano I mentioned earlier. It shows up again in "Last Day on Earth" as an appropriately somber opening. The song starts quietly describing a funeral procession that then leads Steven to ask "How then shall I live/If this should be the last day that I have?" The song is interesting because it has no second verse. It goes straight from the chorus into the bridge, constantly building intensity. You might think from the first verse that this is a ballad, but it really turns into a rock song before all is said and done with piano and guitar fighting for supremacy.

"What Now" stopped me cold the first time I heard it. This pop track features piano prominently throughout and challenges us to remember to help those less fortunate than us. It's a familiar idea expressed in a fresh way.

My absolute favorite here is "Believe Me Now." The first few notes are from a chamberlin and they give it a unique feel, but guitar comes in before Steven starts singing. I absolutely love the message. Written from God's point of view, it reminds us that God will always be on our side.

The last songs are the slowest. "Angels Wish" takes its idea from the verse that says we understand things about God that angels wish to know. It contrasts what we know about God with what they know. It's another piano based song and includes strings this time around. It's beautiful to listen to.

Pretty much the same can be said of "Treasure of Jesus." This short (it's only a verse and chorus) closes the disc with a prayer to live a life showing Jesus.

This is a disc that will appeal to Steven's many fans. They will love it and be begging for more. If you wonder why Steven Curtis Chapman has such a big following after all these years, you need look no further than All Things New to find your answer.

CD Length: 51:16
Tracks:
1. All Things New
2. Much of You
3. Only Getting Started
4. Last Day on Earth
5. What Now
6. Please Only You
7. Coming Attractions
8. Big Story
9. Believe Me Now
10. Angels Wish
11. I Believe in You
12. Treasure of Jesus

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.