Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Music Review: As I Am by Kristin Chenoweth


Stars: 5 out of 5
Pros: Kristin vocals on some songs I have loved for years
Cons: "Taylor, the Latte Boy" still gets stuck in my head
The Bottom Line:
Trades Broadway for faith
All without missing a beat
Breathes life into songs




Kristin Chenoweth Shows Off Her Faith

I first heard of Kristin Chenoweth when she won the Tony for her roll as Sally in the revival of You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown. I quickly became a fan, so when I found out about As I Am, I had to get it.

Taking a different path from her first CD, which had lots of Broadway songs, this CD focuses on songs of faith and relationships, reflecting Kristin's Christian beliefs. While some of her Broadway fans might not like that, I loved it.

The songs on the list run quite the gamete. She has covers of Faith Hill's "It Will be Me" and Trisha Yearwood's "The Song Remembers When." The traditional spiritual "Poor, Wayfaring Stranger" gets a toe-tapping rendition. "Joyful, Joyful" is majestic and "Just as I am" becomes an intimate prayer. There are even two new songs, "Abide in Me" and "Borrowed Angels."

Even though it covers such diverse genres, Kristin holds it all together well. The country never gets too country and the hymns fit in. This is accomplished by the arranging. The style is heavy on the piano and guitar. All the songs feel like they belong without sounding the same.

Because I was unfamiliar with half these tracks before I got the CD, the covers of the Christian songs I knew immediately caught my ear. All of them seem new here. "Because He Lives" has become a familiar song over the last 30 or so years, even making it's way into several hymnals. Here, it gets a completely fresh sound thanks to the guitar. "Word of God Speak" is the most recent song covered on the CD. While I didn't think we needed a new version so soon, Kristin brings such intensity to the song it easily tops Mercy Me's version of it. Sandi Patty originally recorded "Upon this Rock", but Kristin's voice easily hits the full range of notes, giving her a chance to show off her opera training at the end. Probably the song I was most happy to find on here is "There will never be Another." Originally written and sung by Amy Grant, I thought I was the only one who loved this song about God's love for us.

One song that has really captivated me is the new song "Abide in Me." Inspired by John 15, it's a great reminder of where our power really comes from, God. It has an extremely beautiful melody and some clever lines.

And I have to mention the final song. Billed as a bonus track, "Taylor, the Latte Boy" is apparently a popular song from her live shows. It doesn't fit with the theme of the CD, but is an absolute riot as it describes a budding romance between a customer and a Starbucks employee. What makes the song work is Kristin's expressive singing. She gets so into it, you can't help but love it. Of course, I hate it when the melody gets stuck in my head and I go around singing "Taylor the Latte Boy, I love him, I love him, I love him." Earns me some very strange looks.

Some of her fans won't like the emphasis on her faith; I love it. In the year I've owned As I Am, I keep pulling it out to listen to it more. I don't see that changing in the years ahead.

CD Length: 55:03
Tracks:
1. It Will be Me
2. Word of God Speak
3. Because He Lives
4. Abide in Me
5. Borrowed Angels
6. There will never be Another
7. Poor, Wayfaring Stranger
8. Joyful, Joyful
9. The Song Remembers When
10. Power
11. Just as I am
12. Upon this Rock
13. Taylor, the Latte Boy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.