Sunday, March 24, 2013

Music Review: Greatest Hits Vol. 1 by The Beach Boys

Stars: 5 out of 5
Pros: Tight harmonies; fun songs
Cons: Very similar sounding; short songs
The Bottom Line:
Soundtrack of summer
With these twenty classic songs
Still enjoyable




All the Beach Boys' Biggest Hits Will Give You an Endless Summer

I'm a casual Beach Boys fan, most familiar with their giant hits from movies and TV. So when I decided to get a CD of their hits, Greatest Hits Volume 1 was an obvious solution. It's the first of a three volume 60 song collection. But this one focuses on their radio hits, so every song I was familiar with was included.

Listening to this CD, conjures up images of the care free days of high school and summer vacation. In fact, I think the Beach Boys have done more to propagate the stereotype of California being filled with nothing but lazy days at the beach surfing then any other single person. Even on the coldest winter day, the songs on this CD can warm me up.

I mean, let's be honest, there's nothing too serious on this disc. We've got their classic songs about surfing like "Surfin' Safari" and "Surfin' U.S.A." And they sing about how fast their cars are on "409," "Shut Down," and "Little Deuce Coupe." Carefree days of high school are featured in "I Get Around" and "Be True to Your School." And young love gets touched on in "Help Me Rhonda," "California Girls," and "Do You Wanna Dance?" Yep, we're talking search earth shattering themes here.

Beside the extremely rose colored nostalgic look at high school (was anyone's high school experience really this good?), the group sounds great. They take the standard pop rock instruments of guitar, bass, and drums and give them a sound that is all their own. Anytime I catch a bit of one of these songs, I immediately think of the Beach Boys. It's that iconic. And I'd be remiss if I didn't mention the harmonies. These guys could sing. Every song is filled with tight harmonies from start to finish. And there's the high falsetto, too. It's beautiful to listen to.

The songs on this collection focus on their hits from the early 60's. Since these are their most popular songs, it makes sense that it would be the focus of the first disc in a collection of greatest hits. Those looking for hits from any other part of their extensive career will be disappointed.

There is one noticeable exception to that last paragraph. The CD closes with "Kokomo," a number 1 hit from 1988. It's got the classic Beach Boy these and harmonies, but without the falsetto, it sounds slightly different. Actually, I wasn't aware this one was a Beach Boys song before I got the CD. We used to use it when I taught ballroom dance, so I was thrilled to get it.

The CD does have its flaws, however. The songs sound so familiar, eventually they all start to run together. There are noticeable exceptions, like the slower "Sloop John B." or the ballad "Surfer Girl." But for the most part, they could have used a little more variety.

Additionally, these songs are short. I don't mind the occasional songs, but only two songs are over 3 minutes. As a result, the 20 songs here only bring the CD up to 49 minutes.

The flaws detract a little, but on the whole I am pleased I have Greatest Hits Volume 1 in my collection. It makes me think of summer year round, and I love to pull it out when I'm heading to the beach.

Wait, did I just help those California stereotypes?

CD Length: 49:08
Tracks:
1. Surfin' Safari
2. 409
3. Surfin' U.S.A.
4. Shut Down
5. Surfer Girl
6. Little Deuce Coupe
7. Catch a Wave
8. Be True to Your School
9. Fun, Fun, Fun
10. I Get Around
11. Dance, Dance, Dance
12. Do You Wanna Dance?
13. Help Me, Rhonda
14. California Girls
15. Barbara Ann
16. Sloop John B.
17. Wouldn't it be Nice
18. God Only Knows
19. Good Vibrations
20. Kokomo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.