Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Music Review: Learning to Trust by David Meece

Stars: 5 out of 5
Pros: "Learning to Trust"
Cons: Dated production
The Bottom Line:
I love this CD
Lyrics still encourage me
80's production




Still One of My All Time Favorites

I discovered David Meece late in his career. Learning To Trust, one of his last releases, was the first one I ever bought. But I still absolutely love it. I've had it for 12 years now, and just can't get enough.

Part of that is because of the title song, which is my favorite song of all time. So many songs about trusting God make it sound like the singer has totally surrendered to God already. Personally, I find it a daily struggle. Sometimes hourly. The idea of "Learning to Trust" resonates with me because it's a process. This songs theme of surrender in the process of trusting God is exactly what I need to be reminded of on a daily basis. I've been known to put in on repeat in my car for days when I need the message to sink in once again. It does help that the song itself is so pretty. It opens with just a few simple piano notes repeated. The song is slow and meditative but the drums really take over on the bridge which adds to the intensity of the lyrics.

Now, even with as much as I love that song, it wouldn't be enough to give the CD 5 stars. It's surrounded by some other great songs. "To the Glory of God" is another song about surrendering, this time with some illusions to Greek mythology. It's just a fun mid-tempo song with a great melody and I love singing along with it.

Another standout is "This Time." David's classical piano background comes into play here as he weaves Chopin's Etude in c minor through the song. That classical piece starts and finishes the song and plays tag with the melody during the bridge. It actually works surprisingly well with the rest of the song. It's a rock piece with pounding drums, synthesizer, and piano. Lyrically, it talks about forgetting the past and making right now count for God. Everything just blends together so well.

And I can't forget the final song, "The Rest of My Life." Surrender was definitely a theme of this release because, as you might guess from the title, this is a song committing the rest of his life to God. The melody is very catchy and I often find myself humming it the rest of the day after hearing it.

This CD was originally released in 1989, and it does show. While David's piano skills are obvious, the music is heavy on drums and synthesizer. It definitely fits with 80's pop. Yet it's subtle. It's almost timeless, and the production would only need to change slightly to make it work today. The only song that's truly dated is "When I was Seventeen" which really goes overboard on 80's effects.

The CD appears to have 11 tracks, but looks are deceiving. The "Prelude" and "Interlude in b minor" are just as they sound, brief (30 seconds and one minute) instrumental tracks. They feature stronger orchestra then the rest of the CD but fit right in. Even with two of the tracks running a minute total, we still get almost 42 minutes of music.

Learning To Trust constantly speaks to me, even all these years later. It is well worth tracking down for the honest, convicting, and encouraging lyrics.

Tracks:
1. Prelude
2. When I was Seventeen
3. Learning to Trust
4. To Know Him
5. To the Glory of God
6. The Man with the Nail Scars
7. Interlude in b minor
8. This Time (featuring Etude in c minor, Op. 10, No. 12 by Chopin)
9. When all Colors Turn to Love
10. Somebody's Calling Your Name (He Speaks Softly)
11. The Rest of My Life

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.