Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Music Review: David Phelps by David Phelps


Stars: 5 out of 5
Pros: Awesome voice and great songs
Cons: Not a fan of starting a song with a funky version of the chorus
The Bottom Line:
Amazing vocals
Highlight good Christian music
Fan of both?  Get it




Awesome Voice; Great CD

One year for Easter, my church choir did the song "End of the Beginning." I loved it so much I set out to find a copy of the song. This search led me directly to David Phelps. I hadn't heard of David Phelps before that, but I don't regret buying this CD for a moment.

At the time of this recording, David was part of the Gaither Vocal Band. His connection with the Gaithers is rather obvious here. A couple songs were co-written by Benjamin Gaither, and "You Can Dream" was co-written by David Phelps and Gloria Gaither.

The CD features a variety of styles. Overall, it has a Gospel feel to it, especially on such tracks as "Freedom Song" and "My Child is Coming Home." "I Cry, You Care" has more of an adult contemporary feel, while "End of the Beginning" is a great rock opera song with a catchy melody. Even with the variety of styles, the CD doesn't feel fragmented but is more then the sum of its parts.

The songs selected feature encouraging reminders of God's love and care for us. "I Cry, You Care" opens the CD with an upbeat track about God's faithfulness. "Someone Who Cares" is much slower but again focuses on the same theme. The verses of "You Can Dream" talk about people in poor circumstances but the chorus is a reminder that God still believes in our dreams. "Miles and Miles Away" talks about all God will do to show His love to anyone.

My favorites on here are the four songs David wrote himself. I've already talked about "I Cry, You Care" and "Someone Who Cares." "End of the Beginning" (yes, I intended to get back to it) is a story about David sharing his faith in an airplane. While sharing the story, he stops at Jesus' death and explains that it's the end of the beginning. With its fun melody and upbeat tempo, it's an easy choice. "Fly Again" closes out the album. It's a very slow, beautiful ballad talking about death and the hope of Heaven.

The thing that makes this CD so spectacular is David's voice. He has an amazing tenor that has to be heard to be believed. I can't believe he hits some of those "high" notes. It's a real pleasure listening to him.

My only complaint with the CD is the habit of starting a song with the chorus is a funky rhythm or style. This happens on several tracks and is annoying. Still, it's a minor complaint.

That choir performance led me to a new artist I'm glad I found with David Phelps. I've now bought his other CD's and listen to them regularly.

CD Length: 49:43
Tracks:
1. I Cry, You Care
2. End of the Beginning
3. Someone Who Cares
4. Freedom Song
5. Miles and Miles Away
6. No More Night
7. Let the Glory Come Down
8. You Can Dream
9. My Child is Coming Home
10. The Wind and the Waves
11. Fly Again

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.