Friday, March 15, 2013

Music Review: The Gift Goes On by Sandi Patty


Stars: 5 out of 5
Pros: "O Holy Night," "Bethlehem Morning"
Cons: None
The Bottom Line:
Great originals
And fresh takes on the classics
Make CD a must




Sandi's First and Best Christmas CD

The Gift Goes On is a 1983 release that is another favorite Christmas CD I can't wait to pull out each year. (Are you beginning to see why I listen to Christmas music non-stop during December?) It's always felt like Christmas to me.

Frankly, that's a little surprising. Christian recording artist Sandi Patty has done nothing to change her normal style. This CD isn't big band or jazz flavored. It's pure adult contemporary and fits in perfectly with her other 80's releases. 6 of the 10 tracks are original songs and the other four tracks are mostly medleys. There's nothing here to make it feel Christmassy. Obviously, the songs speak for themselves.

The CD opens with "Worship the King." It's an upbeat opening of praise and celebration that could easily be the shepherd's song as they raced to the manger that first Christmas. With a full orchestra and back-up choir, it could easily fit on any of Sandi's other releases.

The title track is another fun song. This time, Sandi is joined by a kids' choir on the chorus. There are really two overlapping parts to the chorus, and she sings one part while the kids sing the other. The song itself talks about God's gift of Jesus to us being an expression of love and how, when that fully impacts our lives, we can share that love with others. Again, the song has a catchy rhythm and melody and if fun to sing along to.

Things slow down for the next track, "Christmas was Meant for Children." While I could this as an original song, it was written in 1957 and I'm sure it has been recorded elsewhere. I just haven't heard it before. Sandi sings solo on this moving ballad about the earthly and Heavenly joys of the season.

No Sandi Christmas CD is complete without a version of "O Holy Night." This one is my favorite. Coupled with "Jesu Bambino," it's a mid tempo version of the classic carol. What I love about it is the final chorus. The song starts out rather softly but builds in intensity as it progresses. After the first chorus, everyone comes back in rather dramatically making for a powerful moment.

Another favorite is "Bethlehem Morning." The song connects the original Christmas with Jesus' promised return to rule the earth. Again, it starts slow and soft but builds to a show-stopping climax. The song was made for Sandi's incredible vocal range. It gives me goose bumps when I listen to it. I've heard other people attempt to sing it, and it just doesn't sound as wonderful.

Closing out the CD is a rather controversial song in my family. I love "Merry Christmas with Love" while the rest of my family hates it. The song is about someone with no one at Christmas who is remembered by friends. I find it touching but the rest of my family finds it depressing. Either way, the music is beautiful and Sandi's vocals are moving. And, yes, this is the same song that Clay Aiken used as the title track of his recent Christmas CD.

Sandi's opera background is kept to the background for most of the CD. It does pop up occasionally, especially on the two snippets from Handel's Messiah.

While the CD was originally recorded in the early 80's, it doesn't sound like it. Instead of synthesizers, Sandi is accompanied by an orchestra. As a result, the CD sounds timeless not dated.

All this comes together to form an outstanding Christmas CD. It's been almost 20 years since I first heard The Gift Goes On and I know I'll be listening to it for 20 more.

CD Length: 35:24
Tracks:
1. Worship the King
2. Worship the Gift (It Came Upon the Midnight Clear, Away in a Manger, What Child is This?, and O Little Town of Bethlehem)
3. The Gift Goes On
4. Christmas was Meant for Children
5. Jesu Bambino/O Holy Night
6. Worship the King (Reprise)/Celebrate the Gift (Rejoice, For Unto Us a Child is Born, Hark! the Herald Angels Sing, Joy to the World)
7. I Wonder as I Wander
8. O Magnify the Lord
9. Bethlehem Morning
10. Merry Christmas with Love/Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.