Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Music Review: Let My Words be Few by Phillips, Craig, and Dean


Stars: 5 out of 5
Pros: Awesome songs of worship
Cons: Some aren't as popular now as when the disc was released
The Bottom Line:
Songs focused on God
That praise Him for what He's done
As worship should be





Music That Will Lift Your Focus Up in Worship

Since 2000, it has been the in thing for Christian music artists to record a worship CD. Let My Words Be Few is the first of three from Phillips, Craig, and Dean. As you would expect from three guys who are worship pastors, it's excellent.

The CD opens with an appropriate song, "Come, Now is the Time to Worship." This call to worship is one of several now over recorded songs that were fresher in 2001 when the CD came out. Other candidates include "The Heart of Worship," "You are my King," and "Open the Eyes of My Heart." These covers are quite good in their own right, however.

The title song was written by Matt Redman. While it's been covered by Rebecca St. James, it doesn't seem to have the same following as some of his other songs. It's a simple love song to Jesus that does tend to repeat the chorus a little too much for my taste.

Where this CD really shines is the original songs. Each of the guys co-wrote at least one original song.

Dan Dean actually co-wrote two songs. The first is "Pour My Love on You" and is about the struggle to find words to express our love to God. The other, "How Great You Are," is one of my two favorites on the disc. The song takes creation and uses it to remind us hos incredible it is that the God who created everything knows us. This is one of my favorite themes on which to meditate.

Randy Phillips co-wrote "The Voice of the Lord." This upbeat song is fun to sing and combines thought of creation with salvation.

Shawn Craig's song closes the CD and is my other favorite track. "Your Grace Still Amazes Me" is a slow, meditative prayer about just how illogical God's plan of salvation really is. It captures my thoughts on the subject perfectly.

All the songs, whether old or new, benefit from the great harmonies this group is known for. Stylistically, it fits perfectly into the modern praise genre with keyboard and guitar at the forefront. All of these songs could be played as performed at a modern worship service.

It's hard to listen to this CD and not have your focus shifted fully to God. Every time I stick it in, I find myself praising God for all He has done for us.

While you may not feel like getting yet another version of a few of the songs on here, the new songs make Let My Words Be Few well worth purchasing. It never fails to focus my thoughts on God.

CD Length: 47:49
Tracks:
1. Come, Now is the Time to Worship
2. Let Everything That Has Breath
3. Let My Words Be Few
4. The Heart of Worship
5. Pour My Love on You
6. You are My King
7. Open the Eyes of My Heart
8. How Great You Are
9. The Voice of the Lord
10. Your Grace Sill Amazes Me

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.