Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Music Review: Recollection - The Best of Nichole Nordeman

Stars: 5 out of 5
Pros: So many great songs
Cons: "Why?," Nothing new since this disc came out
The Bottom Line:
A best of CD
Almost perfect collection
Songs to challenge you




Is Nichole a "Fool for You?"  Not When She's This "Brave."

It's no secret that I'm a Nichole Nordeman fan. I have all of her CD's and am surprised I haven't worn out her first three. Still, I just had to get Recollection as soon as it came out. And it was worth it.

Nichole hand picked these songs because they meant something to her. That adds a greater variety to the project then just sticking with the radio hits. I would have liked some comments from her about why these songs were included. Unfortunately, that's not included.

Now, this doesn't mean that the radio hits aren't here. We get a great collection of the songs that have made her well known. Pop anthem "Holy" leads off the album. And it is still as great a song of surrender and worship as it has always been. "To Know You" and "Who You Are" are the two songs that originally caught my ear on radio and introduced me to Nichole, so I'm thrilled to see them here. Both of these songs question her relationship with God and the struggle to really know Him here on earth. They are strong rock anthems with an almost alternative feel to them. "Fool for You" is a song about faith I have always loved. Since "Brave" was my favorite track from her last studio release, I was glad to see it included as well.

Here's where Nichole choosing the songs makes the difference. She has always written some great slow ballads that really show off her voice and her piano playing. They weren't radio material and probably never would have made a normal collection, but here we get them. "River God" is a beautiful piano ballad with just a hint of strings that paints a picture of God slowly molding us into His image. "Every Season" focuses on God's presence during both the good and bad times. "I Am" is along the same lines, traces how God has meant something different to her in every stage of life. All of these songs focus on Nichole's piano with hardly anything else. They are haunting and thought and absolutely should have been included here.

Just like with every other best of collection I have, there are a couple songs I don't care for. In this case, I really want to know why "Why?" is here. While I like the choruses, the verses are some of the most awkward phrasing I have ever heard. The song tells the story of a young person caught up in the events of Jesus' death. The choruses asking and explaining why it happened are powerful. But those verses! She can do much better and does on every other track here. I've never been a fan of "Is it Any Wonder?" but I do recognize that I'm in the minority here. It's just a little too alternative stylistically for my tastes.

We get two new songs as well. "Sunrise" celebrates that, no matter the trial, God is there with us and therefore we can go through the trials. It's the piano based soft rock that would fit easily on her first two projects and I really like it. "Finally Free" is about the power of God to free us. This one is just a little too subdued for the subject matter. This wasn't a time for another ballad but an upbeat song that goes with the theme. This one would fit easily on her last studio release, which isn't a good thing since it was her weakest.

Even thought I don't love every track, Recollection is still a very solid collection that gives a good taste of Nichole's music over the years. Her casual fans will absolutely love it, and her hard core fans will love having their favorites in one place.

CD Length: 1:13:35
Tracks:
1. Holy
2. To Know You
3. This Mystery
4. Every Season
5. Sunrise
6. Brave
7. Legacy
8. Finally Free
9. Is it any Wonder?
10. I Am
11. What if
12. Fool for You
13. Even Then
14. Why?
15. Real to Me
16. Who You are
17. River God

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.