Thursday, March 14, 2013

Music Review: A Sesame Street Christmas


Stars: 5 out of 5
Pros: Classic tracks I remember from my childhood
Cons: A few changes or new ones
The Bottom Line:
Not quite my record
But still very close to it
Some great memories




Sesame Street Wishes You a Merry Christmas

I had a record (you know, those round things that held music long before CD's) very similar to A Sesame Street Christmas when I was a kid. I loved it then. When I discovered this CD, I had to get it. And I'm not ashamed to admit I listen to it several times a year.

Based on the PBS show, this CD features characters from Sesame Street singing Christmas carols. The focus is on the well-loved Muppet characters, but human characters Bob, Susan, and Gordon make appearances as well. Since the audience is kids, the music is pretty simple. There is an orchestra backing up the characters. Nothing fancy and no special arrangements. Anyone who knows the carols can sing along the first time. But there is still plenty of fun to be had.

For example, Herry Monster tries to put his own spin on a couple of classics during the opening Medley only to learn the song is "Deck the Halls" not "Wreck the Halls." Then he learns that "Crashing through the snow" isn't a line in "Jingle Bells."

The gang does a new version of "The Twelve Days of Christmas." Each Muppet takes a day, and instead of the traditional gifts, the gift matches the characters. Which brings us such gifts as nine pounds of birdseed, seven rusty trashcans, six rubber duckies, and one delicious cookie.

The Count gets a solo and what an appropriate one. "All I want for Christmas (is my Two Front Teeth)" has a bit of Transylvanian flair that makes it lots of fun. I love singing along with this one.

In addition to the traditional songs, there are several new ones. My favorite is "I Hate Christmas" as sung by Oscar the Grouch. Here, he confesses that all the goodwill of the holiday makes him ill. I find it absolutely hilarious. Unfortunately, I also find it gets stuck in my head rather quickly. You should see some of the looks I get when I go around singing it under my breath without realizing it.

"A True Blue Miracle" wasn't on the record I had as a kid. This is a sweet song that talks about how the season transforms not only our physical surroundings but the goodwill affects our hearts. "Keep Christmas with You" encourages us to show the love we feel this time of year all year long.

And I simply must mention the "Christmas Pageant." It's the closest thing the CD has to a storyline, but it only lasts a few minutes. The Muppets are all ready for their Christmas play and need Bert to play the lead. He's all excited until he finds out what it is – a Christmas tree. He complains the entire way through the very funny production.

This CD was produced in 1995, 20 years after the record I had as a kid. During that time, cast changes had been made that are reflected here. Elmo and Hoots the Owl are present, and neither one was on the show when I was growing up. Basically, they take over lines said by others in the original. Doesn't really bother me, and today's kids will love that change.

Unfortunately, the other changes don't make me as happy. There used to be a segment where Bert and Ernie did a version of "The Gift of the Magi" with Mr. Hooper. Also, David did a variation of "The Night Before Christmas" where Santa crash lands on Sesame Street and David saves the day. Both have been cut since the humans are no longer on the show. I miss them terribly. However, if I didn't know they existed, this wouldn't be an issue at all.

As an adult, I may only listen to A Sesame Street Christmas a couple times a year, but it’s worth having to bring those memories flooding back. Today’s kids will love having their own Christmas CD with songs by their favorite characters just as much as I did when I was a kid.

CD Length: 32:34
Tracks:
1. Sesame Street Christmas Overture
2. We Wish You a Merry Christmas
3. Medley: Deck the Halls, Jingle Bells, White Christmas, Winter Wonderland
4. I Hate Christmas
5. Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas
6. The Twelve Days of Christmas
7. A True Blue Miracle
8. Medley: It's Beginning to Look a lot Like Christmas, Silver Bells, The Christmas Song, Santa Claus is Coming to Town
9. All I Want for Christmas (is my Two Front Teeth)
10. A Christmas Pageant
11. Keep Christmas with You (All Through the Year)
12. We Wish You a Merry Christmas (Reprise)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.