Sunday, March 17, 2013

Top Movies of 2006


While looking back at the year in films, I was surprised at some of the movies that made my final list. There were a couple I'd forgotten about and another couple that I almost didn't see. Yet see them I did, and here are my favorites from the year.

10. Santa Clause 3
Let's start off with a movie that will probably be on several "worst of" lists. The third film in the series finds Tim Allen's Scott Calvin, aka Santa Claus, up to his eyes in frustration. Mrs. Claus is pregnant, the in-laws and the ex and her family are all visiting. To top it off, he's trying to rehabilitate Jack Frost (Martin Short). No, it's not nearly as good as the original, but it is still family fun for the holidays. I laughed the entire way through and cheered at the end.

9. The Nativity Story
I wasn't expecting to like this movie but went because several friends all wanted to go. I wound up being moved by the portrayal of the original Christmas story of Mary, Joseph, and Baby Jesus. While it has some flaws, I was able to overlook them and really enjoy the film.

8. The Guardian
Kevin Costner stars as a Coast Guard rescue swimmer forced to teach at the training academy and Ashton Kutcher is the student who sets out to surpass his teacher at everything. While the movie doesn't break much new ground in the mentor/mentee formula, the end result was very moving.

7. Night at the Museum
Heck, this movie is worth it for a chance to see Dick van Dyke back in a movie. Ben Stiller is the new night guard at the New York Metropolitan Museum. What no one bothered to tell him was that every exhibit comes to life at night. The movie is funny and surprisingly sweet as well with great special effects that tell the story instead of being the story. The cast also includes such greats as Robin Williams and Andy Rooney.

6. Mission: Impossible III
Tom Cruise takes a third jab at the impossible, and the result is the best Mission: Impossible movie to date. Of course, it might help that I am a huge fan of producer/director J.J. Abrams's TV shows Lost and Alias. Anyway, this movie finds Ethan trying to track down the man who killed his protege and keep the "rabbit's foot" out of his hands. Perfect if you're in the mood for lots of car crashes with several nice twists that keep the suspense building until the end.

5. Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest
It seems you either liked to hated this movie. While I did think it was a little overlong, I don't know what I would have cut out. Captain Jack, Elizabeth, and Will are all trying to track down Davy Jone's Locker to pursue their own ends. Johnny Depp is as over the top as ever, and there are a couple of long, stunt filled, and hilarious action scenes.

4. Stranger Than Fiction
Usually, I have an aversion to Will Ferrell trailers so I avoid his movies like the plague. This one intrigued me, and I'm glad it did. Harold Crick (Ferrell) starts hearing a voice in his head narrating his every action. To his horror, he discovers that he's a character in a Kay Eiffel (Emma Thompson) novel, and Kay kills off all her main characters. The comedy was toned down in favor of a more serious final act that was moving and uplifting.

3. The Wild
I'm sorry I missed this gem in theaters. Disney's latest animated movie follows the adventures of Ryan, the lion cub, who breaks out of the New York Zoo to return to Africa to experience the life he's heard about from his father. His dad and a wild assortment of zoo animals follow him attempting to rescue him. The movie was so funny I had to watch it twice to catch all the dialog and the plot took several twists I didn't expect.

2. High School Musical
This Disney Channel original movie has taken everyone by surprise with its huge popularity with the tween crowd. I find myself captivated all over again every time I catch it on TV. It's the story of what happens to East High when the captain of the basketball team and the new kid decide to break out of their roles and audition for the high school's winter musicale. With great song, fun dance numbers, lots of humor, and a good moral, it's easy to see why it's become so popular. GO WILDCATS!

1. Cars
Pixar has yet to disappointment, and this year's offering was no exception. I'm not a fan of NASCAR, but that didn't dampen my enjoyment one bit. Rookie racing sensation Lightning McQueen (Owen Wilson) is on his way to a tie breaking race when he gets lost in a small town along historic Route 66. Sentenced to community service, he's surprised by the cars he finds in town. It has just the right mix of humor and pathos brought to us by lovable characters. And, once again, they've topped themselves with breathtaking animation that looks absolutely real.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.