Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Travel Review: Ronald Reagan Presidential Library

Stars: 5 out of 5

Pros: A look at one of our great Presidents.
Cons: Some great displays are currently missing in action.
The Bottom Line:
Visit Air Force One
Learn about Ronald Reagan
At one museum

The Reagan Presidential Library - Now with Air Force One

I must admit that I'm not much of a museum guy. Often, I'm ready to go long before the people I'm there with are. So you can image my surprise to find how much I love this place.

Of course, I had to be bribed the first time I went. My friend dragged me there because of the temporary exhibit he knew I would be interested in seeing. What I didn't count on was that the whole museum would grab my love of history and keep drawing me back.

The Museum

After paying admission, you immediately step into the gallery of Presidents. Here, there are portraits of every President of the United States as well as the years they served. Off of this room there are two theaters. One runs a movie about the life and Presidency of Ronald Reagan. The other includes clips of the services and mourners from Reagan's death almost two years ago.

From there, you head into the temporary exhibit hall. In the four and a half years I've been visiting the museum, I've seen a wide range of subjects covered here. We've had tributes to entertainers Walt Disney and Bob Hope. There was a fascinating exhibit on the history of spying from the American Revolution through the Cold War. Most recently, there was an exhibit on Lewis and Clark as well as one on the US Calvary in history and cinema. Plus the annual exhibit of Christmas trees from around the world is not to be missed.

Once you pass through this area, you finally reach the section devoted to President Reagan. Here, you get a complete tour of his life, from his days as a lifeguard in his Illinois hometown to his days in radio and the movies. Various exhibits include a recreation of his boyhood home's kitchen and the restaurant booth where President Reagan proposed to Mrs. Reagan.

The exhibits move into his emerging interest in politics with talk of his eight years as governor of California before his failed run for the Presidency in 1976 and his successful run in 1980. Then, the exhibits begin to talk about the events of those eight years using videos and narration President Reagan recorded before his death.

Near the completion of the tour is a replica of the oval office and a section devoted to Mrs. Reagan and the gifts given to the Reagans from various heads of state during their time in the White House.

Air Force One

When the airplane President Reagan used during his Presidency was retired in 2001, it was donated to the Reagan Library to be put on display. After several years of construction the exhibit finally opened in October 2005. The plane served six Presidents, from Nixon through George W. Bush, so it is a piece of history well worth seeing.

The plane sits in a giant hanger like room with three levels. Surrounding it are displays about all the trips President Reagan took in the plane and the diplomacy he was able to do as a result. Much of it focuses on his relationship with the USSR and bringing about the end of the Cold War. The importance of travel to international relations is emphasized.

Naturally, the center of the exhibit is the plane itself. After a photo op (which you can then buy from the gift shop), you are allowed to board. While you can't touch or sit, you can walk through the plane and see the various areas.

Since the plane is a 747, it's quite interesting to see what has been done with the plane. Seats have been removed so the President and First Lady can have offices on board. These are quite spacious for their location. The further back in the plane you go, the more it looks like a normal plane until you reach the seats for any reporters invited along on the trip. Can you say economy class?

When I was there on a Saturday morning, I was able to walk through the plane twice with hardly any wait. Talking to one of the docents, I found out that the library and that exhibit in particular are often crowded in the afternoons with a two hour or longer wait to walk through the plane. This may be something to hit first and spend time in the rest of the museum afterward.

The ground floor of this hall features Marine One, the helicopter used to get the President from the White House to the air force base, and one of the Presidential motorcade cars as well as a gift shop and cafe.

The Back Patio

When you first enter the museum, there's a set of doors leading out to the back patio. Immediately outside those doors is a piece of the Berlin Wall donated to thank Reagan for his part in ending the division of Germany. This is a great reminder of a sad chapter in history.

To your left following the paths through the grassy lawns is the final resting place of President Reagan. There is a nice marble monument and a plaque.

The view off the patio is of wonderful rolling hills. If you happen to visit on a day without smog or fog, you can even see catch a glimpse of the Pacific Ocean through the hills.

Location, Hours, Cost, Etc.

The Reagan Presidential Library is located in Simi Valley, California, about 3 miles south of the Madera exit of the 118 freeway. All routes are well marked and I never had to worry about using directions to find it.

The museum is opened 10 AM to 5 PM seven days a week except for Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years Day. They often plan special events for holidays and other occasions, so you might want to check the web site (http://www.reaganlibrary.com/) before finalizing any plans. For example, their annual Fourth of July old-fashioned celebration is worth attending even though it is pretty crowded.

The price of admission went up with the new Air Force One exhibit. As of October 2005, the prices are:
Ages 18-61: $12.00
Ages 62+: $9.00
Ages 11-17: $3.00
Under age 11: Free

I'd allow a minimum of two hours to see everything but don't think you'd need more then four. Unless, of course, you get stuck in a long line to see Air Force One.

There are two cafes and two gift shops. One set is located near the main entrance; the other is located in the Air Force One Pavilion. While I have never eaten on the grounds, the gift shops include the usual post cards, pins, and T-Shirts as well as Jelly Belly Jelly Beans, White House China, and various books by and about the Reagans.

My Thoughts

Since discovering what a treasure I had less than an hour from me, I have visited frequently. My visits will be less frequent with the increase in admissions. Still, this is a great place to step back in time to a recent part of our history.

I have always felt a connection with President Reagan because he's the first President I remember. Reading the displays and listening to the recordings makes me wish I had been old enough to appreciate what was happening and the history I was living through. They brought the events to life and helped fill in pieces that I vaguely remembered from childhood.

I love United States history. While this part of history was only 20 years ago, I still enjoy an opportunity to immerse myself in it.

As you would expect, the exhibits are very pro-Reagan. I would expect all the Presidential libraries to be biased in favor of their subject. Being a Reagan fan, this doesn't bother me in the least, but would bother anyone who felt differently about him.

My big complaint is the exhibits that are now missing from the museum. When I first started going, they had some nice exhibits about the end of the Cold War. While some of this has been incorporated into the Air Force One exhibit, some of it seems to be missing. In fact, much of the exhibits on his second term in office are currently missing in action. The one exhibit I always enjoyed was a chance to play advisor to the President. This interaction group exhibit is gone as well. I don't know if there are currently plans to relocate them now that the Air Force One exhibit is finished or not, but I certainly hope so.

Final Thoughts

Unfortunately, the increase in price means I can't quite justify going as often as I used to. Still, if you have an interest in President Reagan or US history in general, this is a great place to visit. It will also bring the life and legacy of Reagan to life for children. And they'll love getting to walk on the plane.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.