Sunday, March 17, 2013

Music Review: Brave by Nichole Nordeman


Stars: 3 out of 5
Pros: Some good songs
Cons: Most run together musically and lyrically
The Bottom Line:
Weakest of her discs
The songs just don't stand apart
I expected more




Disappointing Attempt at Bravery

When Nichole Nordeman released Brave, her fourth studio recording, I was a solid fan. Her last project is still one of my favorite CD's. So naturally, I was one of the first in line to get this one.

The CD opens with the title song. Nichole sings about leaving the status quo behind. Ironically, this is CD probably the least brave she's been.

One problem is the music. As always, its piano based. On her first disc, she was almost alternative, but she's been slowly moving firmly to polished pop. Now, she moves in the direction of adult contemporary. There's still some pop in there, but on the whole the CD is rather mellow and uninteresting to listen to. All the songs begin to run together.

Nichole has always been known for her powerful lyrics. Whether questioning her relationship with God or wondering at His grace, they always made me stop and think. She seems to have lost that touch, writing songs that sound like they could come from a dozen different Christian artists.

Then there's the biggest misstep. Nichole has developed a pattern of covering one song by a secular artist per project. Here, she covers Bob Dylan's "Gotta Serve Somebody." I seriously doubt it sounded like this originally. The drum loop is so heavy you almost miss the guitar and piano that plays in the background. It has almost a dance mix feel. It would have been more at home on her first effort. Here, it is very out of place.

That's not to say that the entire disc is bad. I absolutely love the title track. "Brave" is an invitation to live for God no matter how others view us. It's got great piano as the base and a catchy melody that I can't help but sing along with. I even find myself nodding in agreement with the words and thinking of the times I've compromised.

Equally entertaining is "What If." This song is written in a minor key that really drives the message. It's a song written for skeptics of Christianity that contrasts the possibility that they are right verses the possibility that Christianity is true. I don't know if it did anything for the friend Nichole wrote it for, but it speaks to me.

Another standout is "No More Chains." Granted, this isn't her most original lyric, comparing struggles with sin and depression with being chained up. The mid-tempo track is faster then its neighbors, which is one reason the song stands out. This is one of the few songs that seems to have Nichole's passion that I've enjoyed so much from her previous outings. I think that makes the prayer all the more powerful for me.

I listen to Nichole's first three projects on a regular basis, but I rarely pull Brave out of the CD collection. Recommended for Nichole's fans, but if you are new to her music, start somewhere else.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.