Saturday, March 23, 2013

Book Review: Down the Rabbit Hole by Peter Abrahams (Echo Falls Mysteries #1)


Stars: 2 out of 5
Pros: Realistic Characters
Cons: Glorifies rule breaking and lying
The Bottom Line:
Ingrid feels need to
Investigate a murder
Which somehow bugged me




Cracked-Up Katie's Murder Lead Ingrid to Danger

Even though I'm an adult, I have been known to still enjoy things aimed at kid's most of the time. In fact, my favorite movies are often kid's movies. So, when I started hearing praise about Down the Rabbit Hole, I couldn't pass it up. Unfortunately, I was ultimate disappointed.

This is a murder mystery aimed at Jr. High aged kids. Set in a small Connecticut town, it stars Ingrid Levin-Hill, herself an 8th grader.

Ingrid is just trying to get to soccer practice on time. She decides to run there instead of wait for her mom, but a wrong turn gets her lost in the wrong part of town. This leads to a chance encounter with Katie Kovak - Cracked-Up Katie to the kids in town. Ingrid thinks nothing of it until she reads in the paper that Katie was murdered that night.

Ingrid knows she was probably the last person to see Katie alive. But she's afraid of getting into trouble or danger, so she decides to stay quiet.

Then, to her horror, she discovers that she left her soccer cleats behind at Katie's house. Sneaking back to get them, she gets herself into even deeper trouble. Now, the only way out is to find the real killer. Can she do it?

I have to give this book praise for the characters. They were great, especially Ingrid. She's a very real thirteen-year-old; she reminds me of many I know myself. In addition to the mystery, she's dealing with lots of issues that early teens face including dealing with parents, an obnoxious older brother, and a mean teacher at school. Her parents do seem well rounded although I really felt they were overly arbitrary at times. And she even gets a nemesis you just love to hate.

Additionally, the book was well written. It doesn't talk down to kids, yet it is written on a level that the target 6th through 9th graders would be able to follow. I had no problem breezing through it, as I expected to do.

The problem was the plot. The mystery is put on the back burner for the first half while various aspects of Ingrid's life are introduced. This may appeal to kids, but it left me rather bored as I waited for the story to really get started. Additionally, the killer was fairly obvious, although I didn't have everything pegged, so I'll let that slide. Beside, it probably wouldn't be as obvious to kids.

My biggest problem with the book is all the sneaking around, lying, and rule breaking that Ingrid did. Usually, that doesn't bother me, and it happens in just about every book I read. This time, it was so blatantly in your face that it really bothered me. And, usually, it's just once or twice instead of over and over again. Ingrid continually justifies it to herself, and that just made it worse for me. I would have been somewhat mollified if she got in trouble for it, but that didn't even happen.

While the target market will probably enjoy Down the Rabbit Hole more than I did, I just can't recommend it because of Ingrid's bad behavior.

1 comment:

  1. I accidentally deleted my comment, but long story short, i agree. Ingrid really should have been spanked (or punished) for all she did. I also didn't like the cursing in the book. As well, the threads are established here for things that happened in books 2 & 3 (SPOILER ALERT) Ty (the brother) is on steriods, and the father is having an affair. Things that don't need to be in a YA book! It is sad enough that this happens in real life! The way these things are handled are especially sad

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.