Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Movie Review: Annie (1999)


Stars: 5 out of 5
Pros: The songs, the acting, the story
Cons: Historical background and Warbucks character development cut for time
The Bottom Line:
Closer to the play
So the version I prefer
Today, tomorrow




Much Better Film Version of a Classic Musical

Things were tough all over in the 1930's. That's especially true if you're an orphan. Just ask Annie (Alicia Morton). She lives in an orphanage in New York City run by the evil Miss Hannigan (Kathy Bates). Annie was left on the doorstep of the orphanage when she was a baby, and all she dreams of is the day her parents will return to claim her.

This year for Christmas, Oliver Warbucks (Victor Garber), the billionaire, has decided to invite one orphan to his mansion for Christmas. Through a series of events, Annie is selected. After he comes to care for her, Warbucks starts a search for Annie parents. But when Miss Hannigan gets wind of the reward, she gets involved in a plan to swindle Warbucks and kidnap Annie. Can she be stopped?

I've gotten to see this musical a couple times in local productions, and I just love it. It's just plain fun. Unfortunately, the original movie version lost that fun somewhere along the way. I've never liked it. But that's a review for another day. This version sticks much closer to the stage play and is better off for it.

With only an hour and a half, the film at times feels like it's moving from one musical number to another. This is especially true near the beginning. But the songs develop the characters, so it is helping advance the story. Since the movie is much shorter then the stage play, the story moves fast and really never lags.

A big part of the success of a musical to me is the song and dance numbers. With such classics as "Tomorrow" and "You're Never Fully Dressed without a Smile," the songs here are great. I often complain when a dance number sticks to one set and begins to feel more like a stage production. I never get that feeling while watching this movie, even though most of the songs do stay on one or two sets. "NYC" and "I Think I'm Going to Like it Here" are noticeable exceptions and fun numbers that make great use of the movie format.

The cast here is wonderful. Newcomer Alicia Morton is perfect as Annie, perky and happy without being over the top sappy. I was worried about Kathy Bates as Miss Hannigan, but she is perfect. And, frankly, I find her sober Miss Hannigan much more frightening then Carol Burnett's drunken version in the original movie. Rounding out the all-star cast are Alan Cumming, Audra McDonald, and Kristin Chenoweth. They're all great, but I especially love Kristin's Lilly St. Regis. I wish she'd had more screen time. As a fun bonus, Andrea McArdle, Broadway's original Annie, makes a cameo appearance during the "NYC" number.

The drawback to the movie is the cuts. To fit the two and a half hour play into 90 minutes, something had to go. Most of the historical background to the story is gone, including the song "We'd Like to Thank You Mr. Hoover." FDR is reduced to a cameo appearance as well. Additionally, Oliver Warbucks gets short changed on character development. He is never truly that gruff, so we don't notice a big change. Personally, I find these changes minor over all and they hardly dampen my enjoyment.

I have watched this version of Annie countless times, and I always have a smile on my face for the entire 90 minutes. This is a great version of a fun musical suitable for the entire family to enjoy together.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.