Friday, March 1, 2013

Movie Review: The Music Man (2003)


Stars: 5 out of 5
Pros: A great version of a classic American musical.
Cons: None
The Bottom Line:
Charming new version
Filled with laughs and great music
To enjoy again




No Trouble Right Here in This Remake

"Professor" Harold Hill (Matthew Broderick) has come to River City, Iowa, to get them to start a boys' marching band. He claims he can teach the students to play; all the parents need to do is buy the instruments and uniforms. In reality, it's a con, and he plans to leave town the instant he gets the final payment. Only the mayor (Victor Garber) and Marian (Kristin Chenoweth), the local librarian and piano teacher, seem at all suspicious of this fast talking smooth salesman. Can they find the proof they need to stop him from swindling the rest of the town? Will they want to?

I'm almost ashamed to say that this was my introduction to this classic American musical. I fell in love with it as soon as I saw it, however. Since I had nothing to compare it to the first time I saw it, I thought it was wonderful. I have since seen the original film, and I can see differences. Matthew Broderick plans a toned down version of Harold Hill, but I find his charm more appealing as a selling point to the town's people. I find Robert Preston's performance in the original to be over the top, but Mr. Broderick finds the right balance to make his Professor Hill believable. Kristin Chenoweth shines as Marion. That woman can sing and brings real warmth to the roll. Of course, I enjoy seeing her every chance I get, so I might be a little biased. The rest of the cast is wonderful as well, especially Victor Garber as the mayor and Molly Shannon as his wife. Considering Mr. Garber's past musical experience, I was surprised at how small his part here really was, but he makes every appearance memorable.

And the story is wonderful as well. The romance between Harold and Marion is heart warming. And the story is told is just a clever enough way to make you not know who is fooling whom. Watching the changes in the town over the course of the movie brings a smile to my face.

A big complaint I had with the original was the dance sequences, which were small in scope, almost like the actors were on a stage. This version takes better advantage of the format for some truly inventive, fun dance numbers, especially in "Seventy-six Trombones" and "Marian the Librarian."

Those hoping for some nice bonus features on the DVD will be disappointed. There is only a short (7 or 8 minute) documentary on the making of the film that barely scratches the surface and a special recording of Kristin Chenoweth singing "Till there was You." The movie itself is presented in full frame, which makes sense considering it was made for TV. Picture quality and sound are top notch throughout the DVD.

So, which version is better? That's really a hard call. Those raised with the Robert Preston version will probably find flaws here and reasons to like the original. I think I lean a little more toward this one, mainly for the dance numbers and favorites in the cast. Both are excellent, however, and capture the charm of The Music Man well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.