Friday, March 8, 2013

Movie Review: Superman Returns


Stars: 4 out of 5
Pros: Good performances, great special effects
Cons: Kate Bosworth's age, slow start makes for a movie that's too long
The Bottom Line:
Movie is too long
But performances, story
Make it worth seeing




Superman Returns, and I Finally Meet Him

For five years, the world has been without Superman (Brandon Routh). Now, he's come back to Earth and is ready to pick up where he left off.

Fortunately, his alter ego, Clark Kent, is able to get his old job back at The Daily Planet. While Jimmy Olsen (Sam Huntington) is thrilled to see him back, his reunion with Lois Lane (Kate Bosworth) is very chilly. During the last five years, she's moved on with her life. She has a son (Tristan Lake Leabu) and is engaged to Richard White (James Marsden). Seeing Superman again stirs up old feelings within her, so she's not exactly thrilled to be assigned to cover him again.

Meanwhile, old nemesis Lex Luthor (Kevin Spacey) has just been released from prison. He's already planning his next bid for world domination. It involves crystals, kryptonite, and creating land. Will Superman figure out what he's up to in time to stop him?

While I have a working knowledge of Superman, this is the first time I've actually seen any of the movies or TV shows. As such, I went into this movie with no ideas of how anything should be. I understand that this movie had some cool cameos and nice references to previous incarnations, but all that went right over my head.

The movie is two and a half hours long, and unfortunately it feels it. The first part of the movie is very slow. Even though I was new to the character, I didn't need all the back-story given. They could have easily cut this part and gotten to the meat of the story. Once the story got going, it was interesting and held my interest through the end, which again dragged on for a scene or two more then necessary.

Much has been made of casting an unknown in the roll. I liked Brandon Routh in the lead. He has a commanding presence as Superman and much less of one as Clark Kent. I've heard some complaints that he should have been clumsier, but I felt it was about right. The rest of the cast was great as well. Kevin Spacey made a great Luthor. He was equal parts fun and menace.

The only real problem with the cast was Kate Bosworth. Don't get me wrong; she did a good job with the role. She was just too young for the part. For this story to work, the actress playing Lois needed to be around thirty, and Kate isn't. Every time I saw her, it took me out of the movie as a result.

And, of course, there are the special effects. In the 20 years since the last film, they have come a long way, and this film puts them to great use. The effects are incredible and flawlessly fit into the film.

Overall, Superman Returns is a good movie, but not the great movie I had hoped it would be. Eventually, I'll have to educate myself on this aspect of pop culture and learn more about the other incarnations of Superman.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.