Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Music Review: Acappella Resurrection

Stars: 4 out of 5
Pros: Good renditions of Easter classics
Cons: "Roll the Stone Away" and "He's Alive"
The Bottom Line:
Easter themed CD
Perfect for that time of year
Resurrection songs




Celebrate Easter with Acappella

Acappella is a male Christian group that sings a cappella music. (Okay, I'm done stating the obvious.) Now if you're picturing barbershop type harmonies, you'll be disappointed. These songs usually feature one member singing and the rest providing background "music" consisting of rhythm and harmony sounds. This isn't the normal sound I associate with a cappella music, but it does work and I enjoy it.

I have often bemoaned the lack of Easter themed releases. In my mind, it should be just as big a holiday for Christians as Christmas. There are some wonderful songs about this holiday that have been written and recorded, but I long for them in one place. Resurrection works to fill in that gap and features one new song and new arrangements of classic Easter songs. Naturally, some of these arrangements work better then others.

The CD opens with a new version of "Celebrate Jesus" that is so full of energy it's easy to catch the mood of the CD. This song does feature a few female vocals. The chorus does get a bit repetitive with "He is risen" and "Come on and celebrate" repeated lots. But the verses do a good job of recounting the events of the first Easter morning. The song has a toe tapping beat and it's almost impossible not to sing along.

Next up is a cover of the classic "Easter Song." The song has been translated into Swahili, and some of the members chant it in the background while member Gary Moyers sings the words in English. This gives the song a different feel, but after a couple listens, I really started to like it.

They go a more traditional route covering Dallas Holm's classic "Rise Again." It's more upbeat then the original recording and comes across as an even bigger song of triumph. The vocals provide some of the best harmonies on the disc here.

There are a couple of disappointments on the disc. Brother group AVB (A cappella Vocal Band) shows up with a new version of their song "Roll the Stone Away." The original had a fun pop flavor that I really enjoyed. Here, there's a new arrangement of the song with an urban flavor, including a new bridge. I much prefer the original. This arrangement would fit on some of AVB's later releases, but doesn't fit here at all.

Also disappointing is their version of "He's Alive." They've tried to speed it up and give it a driving base with eerie background vocals. It just doesn't work. Of course, my view could be clouded by the fact that I love the original version by Don Francisco.

Those looking for classic hymns need look no further then "Christ the Lord is Risen Today" and "He Arose." The first is a fairly standard version, but they have some fun with "He Arose." They do three verses about Jesus being in the grave in a slow, almost dirge like way, then speed things up for the chorus. It has a strong gospel flavor that adds to the fun.

The one new song was penned by long time member George Pendergrass who also does the lead vocals. Another gospel influenced song "If He had not Risen" discusses how the world would be different without Easter. Since this is one of my favorite things to consider as the holiday rolls around, I love this song. I can easily picture this song being done by a swaying choir on Easter morning. It ends with a wonderful narration by Christian music legend Gloria Gaither.

Now earlier, I said that the group provides vocal rhythm on the disc. While there are some songs I know it is human, there are some where it sounds like a drum machine. I could be wrong, but I did want to mention it.

Since the CD is over 10 years old, it is hard to find. Despite a couple weak songs, it is worth Resurrection to get this excellent collection of songs dedicated to one of the most important moments in human history.

CD Length: 43:25
Tracks:
1. Celebrate Jesus
2. Easter Song
3. Rise Again
4. If He had not Risen
5. Roll the Stone Away
6. He's Alive
7. Christ the Lord is Risen Today
8. Grave Robber
9. He Arose
10. Arise My Love

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.