Saturday, March 23, 2013

Music Review: The Definitive Collection by David Meece


Stars: 4 out of 5
Pros: Some classic David music
Cons: Only part of his career represented
The Bottom Line:
The Word years only
Includes his most well known song
Not other good ones




I Love These Songs, but I Wouldn't Call This CD Definitive

When making a list of artists I wish were still recording, David Meece would be near the top. And, even though I knew The Definitive Collection was a .. well ... collection, I had to get it.

The disc consists of 10 songs from David's years as a recording artist for Word Records. And there in lies my only real complaints with the disc. It's hard to consider something "definitive" when there are only 10 tracks and 7 of them come from two releases. I was hoping, since his first three projects never made it to CD, to get something that hadn't been made available on CD before. Unfortunately, every track here was already in my collection. Then again, since his stuff was hard to find on CD, there might be songs here that non-obsessive collectors don't have.

What is here is wonderful. Since it focuses on "Count the Cost" and "Are You Ready?" his two releases from the early 80's, you get plenty of 80's pop programming. But the songs are still great. The production may be dated, but the challenge to "Count the Cost" or the praise of "Gloria" is still as true today as it was 25 years ago.

The disc goes have some true hits on it. "Everybody Needs a Little Help" was actually a cross over hit in the late 70's. It's got that smooth 70's feel to the melody. It's heavy on the keyboard with drums and guitar providing backup. The song itself is about a friend coming along side during a time of need and brings a smile to my face.

"Falling Down" has an interesting story. It wasn't a hit at the time it was originally released, but it was included on his first collection and became a radio hit then. Drum machines and keyboard effects dominate the music, but it is never overbearing. The sound screams 80's to me. But the lyrics about struggling to live without sin still speak to me. And you have to admit the song is upbeat and fun.

No collection would be complete with out "We are the Reason," David's signature song. A simple piano ballad, it also has a simple message - we were why Jesus died on the cross. Yet this song has been a huge hit with covers by several different artists over the years. This is the single song that David will always be best known for, and I'm glad to see it takes a much deserved place here.

I was really hoping that "Never Gonna Serve Anyone Else but You" would be the original studio version. It's the previously CD'd live version instead. That hardly diminishes the song, however. It's got a catchy melody and allows David to show off his low voice and impressive falsetto.

To the best of my knowledge, this is the first time that "Making My Life Brand New" has been included in a collection. I'm glad since it's always been a favorite of mine. A quiet piano ballad, it doesn't suffer from the over done 80's feel on many of the songs. And I love the simple lyrics that praise God for the work He's done in the lives of believers.

Yes, I am taking off a star based solely on The Definitive Collection name. The songs themselves are great. They just suffer from false advertising.

CD Length: 37:31
Tracks:
1. Are You Ready?
2. Follow You
3. Count the Cost
4. Everybody Needs a Little Help
5. Making My Life Brand New
6. Falling Down
7. Gloria
8. The Unknown Soldier
9. Never Gonna Serve Anyone Else but You
10. We are the Reason

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.